Dr. Andrew G. Prandoni, 73, a Washington cardiologist who maintained a private practice from 1946 to 1976 and who was associate chief of staff for ambulatory care at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Washington from 1977 to 1982, died of cancer Jan. 12 at his home in Bethesda.
Dr. Prandoni was born in West Hoboken, N.J. He graduated from Fordham University and earned his medical degree at the Long Island College of Medicine in Brooklyn. He served in the Army Medical Corps during World War II.
In addition to his private practice here, Dr. Prandoni was a consultant at Walter Reed Army Hospital, director of the peripheral-vascular clinic at George Washington University Hospital, a consultant at St. Elizabeths Hospital, cochairman of the section on cardiovascular diseases at Sibley Memorial Hospital and a clinical professor at the George Washington University medical school.
He was a fellow of the American College of Physicians and the Council on Circulation of the American Heart Association and a member of the American Medical Association and the D.C. Medical Society. He was a former president of the Washington Heart Association and a recipient of its Distinguished Service Award of Merit.
Dr. Prandoni also was a member of the Cosmos Club and the Catholic Church of the Little Flower. He was named a knight commander of the Order of St. Gregory the Great by Pope John XXIII.
Survivors include his wife, Florence T., of Bethesda; six children, Andrew and Jogues, both of Bethesda; Gabrielle, of Missoula, Mont., Peter and Christopher, both of Santa Fe, N.M., and Joseph, of Chevy Chase; his mother, Carmela B. Prandoni of West Englewood, N.J; two brothers, Joseph, of Orlando, Fla., and Vincent, of West Englewood; two sisters, Lucille Prandoni of West Englewood, and Marie Macauley of Austin, Tex., and three grandchildren.