Two Alexandria men, including one convicted in a 1974 robbery in which a policeman was shot, were arrested yesterday in the shooting of a D.C. officer Monday during the armed robbery of a Northwest Washington delicatessen, police reported.

The suspects were identified as Michael Leon Jones III, 33, of the 1600 block of Princess Street, and Herbert Lee Williams, 27, of the 1700 block of Dewitt Street. Police have obtained a warrant for the arrest of a third suspect in the shooting, Maceo Millard Jones, 26, of Richmond.

Michael Jones was charged with assaulting a police officer with a dangerous weapon and armed robbery and was ordered held without bond yesterday by a D.C. hearing commissioner. Williams was arrested in Alexandria on a fugitive warrant from D.C. and was being held there pending extradition proceedings.

They were charged in the shooting of veteran D.C. police officer Robert B. Maring, who received head and arm wounds when he entered the M Street Delly at 1613 M St. NW, as it was being robbed, police said.

Maring, 36, was reported in good condition at George Washington University Hospital yesterday, and could be released as early as next week, a spokesman said.

Police began a manhunt for three men believed to have fled from the delicatessen after the shooting, and made the arrests following tips and the discovery of a car with Virginia license plates that police believe was the getaway car, according to Capt. Jimmy Wilson, head of the homicide branch.

Michael Jones has been on parole for the last five months after serving seven years of a 28-year sentence for the armed robbery of a Virginia ABC store in Alexandria in 1974.

During that robbery, Alexandria Officer Morton Ford was shot when he intercepted three men in a car fleeing from the scene. Jones pleaded guilty to armed robbery in the incident, and Ford never said in court who had shot him, according to court records.

"There's an obvious breakdown of the criminal justice system to allow someone like that to be out," said Ford, who was in and out of the hospital for more than three years with injuries received in the shootout.

At a press conference yesterday, Assistant D.C. Police Chief Marty Tapscott described the Maring shooting as "one of the most brutal attacks in the history of this department."

Tapscott said, "Without provocation one of the two gunmen fired several gunshots at the officer. The bullet struck officer Maring in the left temple and ricocheted off his skull and traveled down the left side of his face, lodging in his neck.

"As the officer lay wounded on the floor another series of shots were fired at the officer by both suspects. A second bullet struck officer Maring, shattering his left elbow."

Police have not said which man allegedly shot Maring.

B. Norris Vassar, chairman of the Virginia Parole Board, said in an interview yesterday that Michael Jones had been paroled after prison personnel reported that he had been an exemplary prisoner.

Reached by telephone at his home yesterday, Raymond Jones Sr., a day laborer, said he was shocked by his son Michael's arrest, which he learned about while watching television.

"I feel so embarrassed," Jones said. "He's my baby boy. When he got out of jail the last time, I went out and bought him a brand new bedroom suite, but he would not stay home. I'm his father and I love the boy, but I just can't go no farther."