Morris J. Warren yesterday was convicted for the third time of rape, kidnaping and other charges in connection with a series of sexual assaults 10 years ago known in the city as the "Green Vega" rape cases.

Warren, whose two previous convictions were overturned on technical grounds in the D.C. Court of Appeals, faces a sentence of up to life in prison following yesterday's verdict by a jury in D.C. Superior Court.

After a week-long trial in which Warren took the stand and admitted having sex with the women, but claimed they had consented, Warren was found guilty of kidnaping while armed, assault with intent to commit sodomy, and two counts each of kidnaping and rape.

The jury acquitted Warren on other charges of armed robbery, armed kidnapping and armed rape stemming from attacks on three victims.

Judge George H. Revercomb set sentencing for April 22.

Warren was originally convicted in 1973 after a four-week trial then described by law enforcement authorities as the biggest rape case in the city's history. He was charged in a series of incidents in which women who had been waiting at bus stops or trying to hail a cab said they were lured into a green Chevrolet Vega and raped.

At the time, Warren denied all the charges, saying he had never met the women he was accused of assaulting. His conviction was overturned on grounds that he should not have been tried with a second man, John N. Davis, whose conviction was allowed to stand.

Warren was tried a second time in 1978, but the appellate court reversed that jury's finding as well, ruling that some evidence had been improperly submitted at trial.

Warren told jurors last week that he had lied in his other trials about his alleged relations with the women. He said last week that the women had consented to having sex with him and had "misperceived" being threatened at knifepoint or gunpoint.

"The truth will set me free," Warren told the jurors.

One of the three victims Warren was accused of assaulting testified in the most recent trial. A second died shortly after Warren's original trial and a third was ruled psychologically unavailable to testify. Their previous testimony was presented as evidence.