Ann Cooper, 78, who owned and operated a newsstand on Capitol Hill for over 30 years until retiring for reasons of health this year, died April 22 in George Washington University Hospital after a stroke. She lived in Washington.
Mrs. Cooper was a native of Warren, Ohio, and moved here in 1948 to study hotel management. She operated a canteen at Sibley Memorial Hospital before taking over the newsstand at the Carroll Arms Hotel on Capitol Hill about 1950. After the hotel was sold in 1965, she operated Ann's Newsstand from a trailer, on land rented from the Senate, in the 300 block of First Street NE.
She became a fixture over the years. Her stand was a one-woman operation, open seven days a week (from 5 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays) and closed only for Christmas.
Mrs. Cooper was known for her generosity and her penchant for extending credit and loans to Hill employes. Their thanks to her was returned when she was hospitalized in the late 1970s. Over an 18-month period, she was mugged, underwent heart surgery, and fell and broke her hip. But her newsstand did not close. In a 1981 story, The Post told how Hill veterans volunteered their time to run the stand. The volunteers included a Hill policeman who used a month of his vacation time to operate her stand.
Her marriage to Russell H. Cooper ended in divorce.
Survivors include a brother, Robert Abrams of Courtland, Ohio, and two sisters, Sally Brainard of Youngstown, Ohio, and Catherine King of Niles, Ohio.