Dr. George A. Kelser Jr., 58, a former director of the cardiology division at George Washington University Hospital and a past president of the Washington Heart Association and the D.C. Society of Internal Medicine, died of cancer April 29 at George Washington University Hospital. He lived in Bethesda.
Dr. Kelser was associated with the George Washington University medical school from 1955 to 1978. In addition to serving as a professor of medicine, he was associate chairman of the department of medicine from 1969 to 1976, and director of the cardiology division from 1969 to 1978. He had a private practice for two years before retiring in 1980.
He was a cardiology consultant to the Washington Hospital Center, Children's Hospital, Bethesda Naval Hospital, St. Elizabeths Hospital and the U.S. Public Health Service. He wrote more than 30 technical works on cardiology.
Dr. Kelser was president of the D.C. Internal Medicine Society for 1967-'68, and of the Washington Heart Association for 1973-'74. He also was a member of the Smith-Reed-Russell honorary medical society. He received the 1981 American Heart Association life contribution award for his work in cardiology.
Dr. Kelser was born in College Park. He was a 1946 graduate of Harvard University and a 1949 graduate of George Washington University's medical school. He was an intern at George Washington University Hospital, and was a resident at D.C. General Hospital. He also served a residency and was a fellow in cardiology at Duke University Hospital. He had served as an officer in the Navy Medical Corps in the early 1950s.
Survivors include his wife, Audrey C., of Bethesda; a son, George A. III, of Arlington; a daughter, Karen C. Kelser of Bethesda; his mother, Alice L. Kelser of College Park, and two sisters, Charline K. Coakley of Bethesda, and Helen Kelser of Spain.