The Montgomery County state's attorney has filed a motion requesting an interview with Edward Thomas Mann, who has been confined to a mental hospital since a judge ruled he was not competent to stand trial on charges that he killed three persons at the IBM building in Bethesda a year ago.

The prosecutor's office acted after Mann complained that he is receiving no treatment at the state institution. Both the prosecutor and Mann opposed last February's decision by Judge William C. Miller that barred Mann's trial on the murder charges.

"I have been at Clifton T. Perkins State Hospital since January," Mann wrote assistant state's attorney Michael D. Mason. "I have received no medical treatment nor have I been put in any therapy program to remedy this fictitious condition.

"I sit in a room warehoused for three months. I am sure you as well as the taxpayers did not have this in mind," Mann said in the letter, which asked for a meeting with Mason, who had attempted to prosecute Mann.

The prosecutor attached Mann's letter to the request for a meeting.

Montgomery County Public Defender Theodore Weiseman said his office will file an opposition to the motion today.

Last February, over strenuous objections from Mason, Judge Miller ruled that Mann was not mentally competent to stand trial at that time. Mann was sent to Perkins, where he is to remain under criminal court jurisdiction at least 10 years.

Prosecutors contended that Mann could function adequately as a defendant, and Mann agreed, arguing against his own defense attorneys.

According to the ruling, Mann still could face trial if his condition improves, and he cannot be released unless a judge finds that he is no longer dangerous to himself or others. The decision followed testimony from numerous psychiatrists that Mann was suffering from paranoia that resulted in the feeling that IBM, Mann's former employer, was conspiring to destroy his life.

Mann was charged with killing three persons and assaulting 23 others after allegedly ramming his Lincoln Continental through the glass doors of the building where he once worked. Mann allegedly held the building under siege for seven hours, and before surrendering, emptied his machine gun into a picture on the office wall that portrayed a court scene.