John H. Rixse Jr., 66, an electrical engineer who was a retired government official and who was active in church, civic and volunteer organizations, died May 24 at Fairfax Hospital. He had a kidney ailment.
Mr. Rixse retired from the Agency for International Development in 1980, ending a government career of nearly 35 years. He worked for the Rural Electrification Administration from 1946 until joining the AID in 1965. He also had taught courses in electrical engineering at the Agriculture Department Graduate School from the 1950s to the early 1970s.
He had been a member and trustee of Trinity Methodist Church in Alexandria since 1943. He had served as Alexandria district lay leader of the Methodist Church. From 1968 to 1972, he was president of the board of pensions of the Methodist Church in Virginia. Since 1966, he had been a member of the lay advisory board of Wesley Theological Seminary.
He had been a leader and district committee chairman of the Boy Scouts, and was a recipient of its Silver Beaver Award.
Mr. Rixse was born in Oklahoma City and lived in Baltimore before moving here as a teen-ager. He had lived in Alexandria since 1940. He was a graduate of Washington-Lee High School, and received a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from George Washington University in 1938. He worked for Pepco and served with the Navy in the Atlantic during World War II before joining the REA.
He was a fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, and a member of the International Conference of Large Electric Power Systems and the World Energy Conference.
Survivors include his wife of 44 years, the former Charlotte Kline, and two sons, John H. III and Robert Sheldon Rixse, all of Alexandria; four brothers, Spencer, of Richmond, George Edward, of Pittsfield, Mass., Franklin, of Arlington, and John Albert, of Englewood, Fla., and three grandchildren.