In an obituary in Wednesday's editions of The Washington Post about Dr. Henry G. Hadley, 89, the physician who founded Hadley Memorial Hospital, his name was given incorrectly in the headline on the story and in the caption of the accompanying photograph.

Dr. Henry G. Hadley, 89, the physician who founded Hadley Memorial Hospital in Anacostia and a general practitioner who was known for his work among the poor in Washington for more than 60 years, died of congestive heart failure June 17 at his home in Loma Linda, Calif.

Dr. Hadley, who lived in Washington until 1981, when he retired and moved to Loma Linda, was born in West Winfield, N.Y. He graduated from the State University of New York and earned his medical degree at George Washington University in 1917.

After a two-year internship at the old Washington Sanatarium of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, Dr. Hadley and his wife, Anna, a registered nurse, went to work at the Santarium's Mission Hospital on 6th Street SW. The facility was used to train post-graduate nurses and persons who had been appointed to foreign missions.

Throughout his career, Dr. Hadley was known for his willingness to forego fees where none could be paid and his readiness to serve the poorer members of community. In his earlier days, he charged $1 for clinic visits, $2 for house calls and $5 for delivering babies.

In 1923, he purchased the building where a clinic was located, added to its facilities and expanded the services it could provide. In 1930, he donated it to the Seventh-Day Adventist Church.

In 1945, Dr. Hadley purchased a six-acre site in Anacostia to build a hospital. It opened in 1952 and in 1955 it was dedicated as the Hadley Memorial Hospital. In 1958, he gave the facility to the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. The doctor continued to practice there and in an office in his nearby house until he retired.

For many years Dr. Hadley asserted that, contrary to all conventional medical knowledge, he had developed a vaccine that would provide a temporary immunity from cancer for two years. He said he had administered the preparation for free to 22,000 patients between 1950 and 1972 and that his studies showed an incidence of cancer among the recipients that was 50 per cent lower than normal.

In 1972, he began to distribute flyers offering the vaccine at a new clinic he established in an Arlington apartment building. He was forced to desist when the Virginia State Board of Medical Examiners advised him that a formal hearing on the practice would be instituted unless he stopped.

In addition to his wife, of Loma Linda, Dr. Hadley's survivors include two sons Henry and Gordon, both physicians in Loma Linda; seven grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.