D.C. police said yesterday that they now think two different men were responsible for the recent incidents at Bancroft Elementary School in Northwest Washington, where two girls were attacked and another was abducted.
"We definitely believe, based on what our investigation has revealed, that we're dealing with two separate subjects in the three separate incidents," said police spokesman William White III.
Previously, police believed that one man was responsible for all three incidents. However, as a result of interviews with the victims and composite drawings made from descriptions of their assailants, police are convinced that two men are responsible.
The drawings are being distributed at Bancroft and other schools and community centers in that area, police said.
Police said they think that the same man who was involved in an indecent act on a 5-year-old girl Sept. 18 was involved in a kidnaping on Oct. 2 that they said had sexual overtones.
Police described the man as black, in his early 30s, about 5-feet-8-inches tall and weighing about 160 pounds, with a dark complexion and a mustache. The man may have bumps under his left eye, police said, and his most distinguishing characteristic appears to be hair underneath his lower lip.
In the Oct. 8 incident, in which another 5-year-old girl was molested, police said they are seeking a black male about 29 years old, about 5-feet-7 and 160 pounds, with a dark complexion and a "Philly" haircut. The man has a scar down the middle of his face, police said.