* The Maryland Humanities Council, the state-based affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities, recently awarded $58,966 to these institutions:
* University Community Concerts, Inc. in College Park, $14,300 for six pre-concert seminars in conjunction with its Olde Musicke Series.
* Department of Spanish and Portuguese and the Meyerhoff Center for Jewish Studies of the University of Maryland, College Park, $8,900 outright and $2,000 matching award for a conference to explore differences and similarities in North American Jewish literature and Latin American Jewish literature. * Department of History, University of Maryland, College Park, $7,500 for in-service training in 12 counties this spring to update historical knowledge of secondary-school history teachers.
* Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington, Rockville, $11,266 matching award for a month-long series of programs in observance of the 300th anniversary of the founding of the Jewish community in Denmark.
* Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, $15,000 matching award for "Maryland Time Exposures 1840-1940" on life throughout the state.
Universities, colleges, museums, libraries or historical societies wishing to apply for funding may call the Humanities Council in Baltimore at 301-837-1938 for an application. The next deadline is Feb.. 15.