Dr. David K. Davoudlarian, the Northern Virginia gynecologist accused by his stepdaughters in a civil lawsuit with killing their mother, has testified he had no knowledge of how his wife died and disputed police contentions that she was killed in their Annandale home.

The doctor offered his responses to the lawsuit's accusations during more than nine hours of questioning by lawyers for the stepdaughters, Susan and Lisa Rooney, in a deposition filed this week in Fairfax County Circuit Court. The stepdaughters' lawsuit, scheduled for trial there Feb. 6, seeks to block Davoudlarian from collecting $440,000 in life insurance on his wife Susan, and inheriting more than $200,000 in property.

Davoudlarian, 41, also has been sued for $10 million in damages by the administrator of his wife's estate, who also has alleged that the doctor killed his wife.

During the deposition, the doctor rejected a police theory on his wife's death, saying that he couldn't "see any possible way that my wife could have been killed in my house."

On June 12, 1983, eight days after Davoudlarian reported his wife missing, her nude body, wrapped in a blue-and-white blanket, was found on the floor of the family station wagon. It was parked in the long-term lot at Washington Dulles International Airport.

An autopsy determined she had been strangled, but police have charged no one in the killing.

"We believe she was killed in the house," said Fairfax Prosecutor Robert F. Horan Jr. yesterday. "We don't believe she voluntarily got in her car and drove away from that house." Police have noted that neither the contact lenses nor glasses Susan Davoudlarian needed were found with her body.

Davoudlarian said in the deposition, taken Oct. 11 and 16, that the last time he saw his wife was in their bedroom, in the early morning of June 4, 1983, after the two returned from a local bar.

"She was holding her nightgown, headed for the bathroom," Davoudlarian testified. He said he rolled over in bed and "went to sleep right away." When he awoke the next morning about 8:30, she was gone, he said. Davoudlarian was the last known person to see her alive, according to police.

Based on evidence taken from the house, police officials have said in a court affidavit that Susan Davoudlarian was killed sometime in the early morning hours of June 4, in the family home at 8808 Aunt Lilly Lane and her body driven in the station wagon to Dulles.

Horan said the police investigation into Davoudlarian's slaying "is very much alive," and said police are watching the civil case carefully and reading the depositions as they are taken to see if the civil suit uncovers evidence which might make criminal charges possible.

Davoudlarian said in his deposition that his marriage was a happy one, but lawyers disclosed during his questioning that his wife was having an affair at the time of her death.

In answer to questions, Davoudlarian said he "never had any inkling" that his wife was unfaithful, and first learned of the affair when "I was told by police, when they interrogated me."

"I was happy, she was happy, there was no conflict, everything was going smooth. Why should I think she was having an affair?" Davoudlarian said.

Davoudlarian also testified that during the week between his wife's disappearance and the discovery of her body, life in their home continued normally, and that her absence was sometimes not discussed during dinner.

Davoudlarian testified that the day his wife's body was found by her father, Marlin Stewart, both Stewart and his stepdaughters accused him of killing her.

Neither Stewart nor the stepdaughters' attorneys would comment on that statement yesterday.