In October a dump truck, its bed raised, was the undoing of a 132-foot-long pedestrian bridge over Kenilworth Avenue NE.
The truck bed, elevated to a height of 19 feet, hit a 60-foot supporting I-beam that had a clearance of 14 feet, causing the entire structure to collapse across all six lanes of the highway. No one was injured.
There still is no bridge at that location, near the Minnesota Avenue Metrorail station, but the D.C. Department of Public Works reports that help is on the way. A replacement is being designed, and construction should be complete -- in about two years.
Public works spokesman Tara Hamilton said the design work began soon after the Oct. 26 accident. She said that no estimate of the new bridge's cost is yet available.
D.C. police said last week that the driver of the truck was not charged in the incident. An investigation disclosed that "vehicle defects" had caused the bed to be raised without the driver's knowledge, they said.
An attorney in the civil division of the D.C. corporation counsel's office said the office is "investigating the incident to determine if there is any liability" on the part of the driver or the owner of the truck, Lee Washington Inc., an excavating and construction company in Northeast Washington. She said the corporation counsel will determine if the manufacturer of the truck or the maker of any of its parts might be held liable.
Metrorail officials said that until construction of the bridge is complete they will continue to provide shuttle bus service across Kenilworth Avenue for passengers who use the Minnesota Avenue Station.