Chris M. Lample, 81, a retired official of the Federal Aviation Administration and its predecessor agency who later worked for an engineering firm in Washington, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 17 at his home at Rossmoor Leisure World in Silver Spring.
Mr. Lample was born in Baltimore. As a young man he was a barnstorming pilot and parachutist and in the early 1920s he flew with the Maryland National Guard. He earned a degree in engineering at New York University.
He moved to Washington and in 1927 he joined the Airways Division of the Lighthouse Service in the Commerce Department. The division was created in 1926 to survey, design, equip and maintain airfields and Mr. Lample took part in this work.
The work of the division was taken over by the Civil Aeronautics Administration when that agency was formed in 1938. Mr. Lample continued his career with the CAA. Just before World War II he was assigned to Alaska. In 1952, he was made a regional administrator of the CAA with headquarters in Seattle.
He returned here in 1955 as assistant director for air navigation facilities. In 1958, the functions of the CAA were transferred to the old Federal Aviation Agency, now the Federal Aviation Administration. In 1960, Mr. Lample was named assistant to the director of the bureau of facilities and material in the FAA. He also was a technical delegate to the International Civil Aviation Organization. He retired in 1963.
For the next 10 years, Mr. Lample worked for the Wilberding Co. Inc., an engineering firm, from which he retired as a vice president.
Mr. Lample was a member of several aviation organizations, including the OX-5 Aviation Pioneers and its Hall of Fame, the Airways Pioneers, the Silver Wings Fraternity, and the National Aviation Club. He also was a member of the National Society of Professional Engineers.
Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth Lample of Silver Spring.