A 21-year-old Palmer Park woman who was three months pregnant was killed yesterday afternoon and at least seven other persons were injured when a car that minutes earlier had been involved in a high-speed chase with police crashed into a crowded Metro bus in Northeast Washington, D.C. police reported.

The identity of the woman, a passenger in the car that was being pursued, was withheld pending notification of her family. She was taken by D.C. Fire Department ambulance to the Washington Hospital Center Medstar unit, where she was pronounced dead, a hospital spokeswoman said. She said the woman, mother of a 4-month-old daughter, died of a neck fracture. The passenger side of the car was torn off.

The driver of the car was identified by police as David T. Cross, 21, of 332 18th Place NE.

According to police, Cross, who they said has three outstanding traffic bench warrants, fled on foot after the 1:50 p.m. accident and was caught about 10 minutes later. He was taken by ambulance to the Washington Hospital Center, where he was in fair condition last night suffering from facial cuts, a spokeswoman said.

A fire department spokesman said at least six bus passengers were taken by ambulance to Providence Hospital or the Washington Hospital Center.

Police said the identities of the victims and the severity of their injuries was unknown, but it appeared that none was seriously injured.

Police said the chase began about 1:35 p.m. when 4th District officers in a marked cruiser pulled over a red Thunderbird that was seen turning right from a lefthand lane near 13th Street and Rock Creek Ford Road NW.

When an officer approached the car on foot, police said, the car sped away and led police on a chase at speeds in excess of 100 mph. The pursuit ended about 10 minutes later when police lost the car near Kansas Avenue and Madison Street in Northwest.

Minutes later and three blocks away, the car collided with a Metro bus carrying about 20 passengers that was traveling north on New Hampshire Avenue near Madison Street, police said.

The passenger side of the car struck the right front of the bus and was completely ripped off on impact, as was the back seat of the car and trunk area. The car "ricochetted" off the bus, crashed into a tree and came to rest against a parked car, police said.

The driver of the car, which had been reported stolen, was captured in the 5300 block of First Place NE, police said.

Police said their investigation of the incident is continuing.