Pasquale Romano, 37, of Herndon, who won $3.4 million last week in the District's Lucky Lotto game, said yesterday that he wants to "cool down" before deciding where the money will go.

He and his wife "just plan to invest it right now," Romano said. "I have a tax planner and a financial planner handling it." But it's a sure bet that the couple's two children -- a boy, 6, and a girl, 4 -- will figure in how the winnings will be used.

Romano, a civilian electronics engineer with the Army, was watching television last Wednesday when he heard the sequence of numbers that put him knee-deep in large bills. His was the only winning ticket, and originally he had told lottery officials that he wanted to remain anonymous.

After taxes, the jackpot totals $2.7 million, which will be paid out in annual installments of $139,932 over 20 years.

Romano said he usually buys five tickets a week, but got 10 last week because of the size of the jackpot. Charles Futrovsky, owner of the District pharmacy that sold the winner, received a $15,000 bonus.

And speaking of winners, seven persons matched all six winning numbers drawn Saturday in Maryland's Lotto game.

Officials said determination of the annuity value of the jackpot was delayed because the stock brokers who bid to determine that value was off Monday.

They estimated, however, that each winner could receive $19,000 a year for the next 20 years. The winning numbers were 5, 15, 20, 30, 34 and 40. add d 17 Families Homeless in P.G. Fire Seventeen families were left homeless and one firefighter suffered smoke inhalation yesterday after a blaze broke out in a three-story apartment complex in Greenbelt, Prince George's County fire officials said.

No residents of the Springhill Lake Apartments, 5915 Cherrywood Ter., were injured in the fire. Officials said it began about 3:30 p.m. in a top-floor apartment of the brick garden-style apartment complex. One firefighter was treated at Prince George's Doctors' Hospital for smoke inhalation.

Fire officials estimated damage at $180,000 and said the cause had not been determined. The building, which had heavy roof damage, was equipped with smoke alarms but no one was in the apartment where the blaze began, fire officials said.

Four families were sent to temporary shelters and others stayed with relatives last night, Red Cross officials said. The officials said they would be meeting with displaced tenants today to determine if more temporary homes would be needed.