Lloyd G. Wineland Jr., 68, chairman of the board and a past president of Wineland Enterprises Inc. in Marlow Heights, which operates eight movie theaters in the Washington area, died of cancer April 10 at George Washington University Hospital. He lived in Easton, Md.
Mr. Wineland first went to work in the family theater business as a youngster selling candy in the lobby of the company's first movie house, which opened in 1922. He went to work full time with the company in 1937.
During the 1950s and 1960s, his company operated 12 indoor movie houses and four drive-in theaters. Currently, the firm has 15 movie screens in five indoor theaters and three drive-ins. Mr. Wineland retired in 1982 and moved from Alexandria to the Eastern Shore. He was chairman of the corporation until his death.
Mr. Wineland was born in Washington and graduated from Eastern High School and George Washington University.
He served on the boards of the National Theater Owners of America and the National Association of Theater Owners of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. He was a past chairman of the D.C. Commissioner's Youth Council. He was a memher of the Antique Appraisers of America and had been a consultant on 19th century American art for the Smithsonian Institution.
Mr. Wineland was a Mason, and had been a member of the Anacostia Lions Club, the Variety Club of Washington, the Kiwanis Club and Aldersgate United Methodist Church in Alexandria.
Survivors include his wife, L. Charlotte Wineland of Easton; a son, Lloyd III, of Bowie; three daughters, Linda Byrne of Vienna, Christine Given of Laurel and Nancy Castle of Mount Airy; two brothers, Dr. Robert K., of Alexandria, and Fred L., of Silesia, Md.; a sister, Faye Wolfgang, also of Silesia, and seven grandchildren.