Henry L. (Hank) Miller, 66, a retired chief of the overseas correspondents service at the U.S. Information Agency who became an official with the Meridian House International, a nonprofit institute that promotes international understanding, died of cancer May 22 at his home in McLean.
Mr. Miller was born in Lafayette, Ind. He graduated from Purdue University. During World War II, he joined the Office of War Information and was assigned to Europe. When the OWI was abolished in 1945, he continued his work with the Voice of America in the Philippines, where he helped to organize the Filipino Broadcasting Service.
He became a special events producer in 1948 at the New York headquarters of VOA, which became part of the USIA in 1953. He moved to Washington in 1963 and retired in 1977. In the same year, he joined Meridian House as the program planning officer of the visitor program service.
Mr. Miller was honored for his work by presidents Johnson, Nixon, and Ford. He also received citations from NATO and the Citizens Council of the Pacific War Memorial. He received the U.S. government's medal for civilian service in Vietnam and the USIA award for meritorious service.
He was a member of the National Press Club and a founding member of Manila's Overseas Press Club. He had been chairman of the McLean Hamlet Citizens Association.
Survivors include his wife, Ann Lorentz Miller of McLean; three daughters, Sara Pease of Carmel Valley, Calif., Jenny Garmendia of Santa Anna, Calif., and Rosemary Lee of Hong Kong, and eight grandchildren.