A 14-year-old Forestville youth was killed and two friends were injured yesterday when the small foreign car they had taken on a 100-mile-an-hour joy ride skidded off the road and smashed into a utility pole, Prince George's County police reported.

The 13-year-old car driver, who was critically injured in the crash on Walker Mill Road, had taken his mother's Fiat without her permission, police said. His name was withheld because he is a juvenile.

The youth who was killed was identified as Michael Jones of 1304 Alberta Dr. in the Ritchie Park subdivision. Yesterday was the last day of school in Prince George's and Michael, who was in the seventh grade at the Thomas Pullen Middle School, had received permission from his mother not to attend.

"I told him he didn't have to go," his mother, Joan Williams, said in an interview last night. "He could stay home and play."

School let out for the summer at noon yesterday, and the joy ride began about 1 p.m., police said.

Michael Jones was picked up in the Fiat at his home, according to his brother, Darryl. The third occupant of the car was identified as Anthony Ferrell Jr., 12, of 1782 Forest Park Dr.

The unnamed driver of the car "liked to impress his friends," Darryl Jones said. The driver and his two passengers "were all good friends," he said.

Darryl Jones said he had once ridden in a car with the 13-year-old who, he said, when behind the wheel, "looks old enough to drive."

On the occasion when he had been a passenger, Darryl Jones said, the 13-year-old driver had "wanted to test his record. He wanted to go faster than 85, and we did."

Yesterday, police said, the Fiat reached speeds of more than 100 miles an hour before the driver appeared to recognize how fast he was going and jammed on the brakes.

He turned the wheel sharply, police said, and went into a skid. The car crashed into a utility pole in the 8500 block of Walker Mill Road, about a mile west of the Capital Beltway and about a half mile from the home of Michael Jones.

Michael Jones was in the right front seat, authorities said. They said he was killed instantly in the crash.

The driver and the other passenger were both taken to Prince George's General Hospital. The driver was listed in critical condition last night in the intensive care unit, where he was under treatment for a head injury and lung injuries, a hospital spokeswoman said.

She said Ferrell, who had been riding in the rear of the car, was listed in stable condition. He was being treated in a pediatrics unit for what she said were believed to be hip fractures.

A woman who lives on his street, Forest Park Drive, said last night that the accident "upset the whole neighborhood."

The neighbor described all three of the youths as "good, growing kids" and expressed the belief that the accident came "as a result of our neighborhood not having much for kids to do . . . . "

"Kids can get into something like this very easily," she said.

In the family's one-story brick house last night, Michael Jones' stepfather expressed his grief. "I hurt so bad I can't explain it," said Albert Williams.

He called Michael "a child who could make you smile . . . . He's the kind of person who would make people feel good when they were feeling bad . . . . He made you love him."

Darryl Jones said both he and his brothers were members of a musical group called the J.D. Band. He said the band is to play tonight at the District Heights municipal center. The concert will be dedicated to Michael, he said.