William G. Carter, 82, a sixth-generation Washingtonian who was president of a Ford dealership and a catering company here, died of cardiac arrest June 12 at his home in Chevy Chase.
Mr. Carter graduated from the old Central High School. In 1924, he and three brothers bought the old Parkway Motor Co., a Ford dealership that was located on Wisconsin Avenue NW in Georgetown. They later moved the firm to M Street NW.
During World War II, the brothers established the Golden Commissary Corp., which operated cafeterias at the Patuxent Naval Air Station, the U.S. Soldiers and Airmen's Home and elsewhere. The company had its original offices in what has since been restored by the National Park Service as "The Old Stone House" on M Street in Georgetown.
Mr. Carter was president of Parkway Motors until 1964, when the business was liquidated. He was president of Golden Commissary until he retired in the early 1980s.
Mr. Carter was a founder of Heroes Inc., and a member of the Georgetown Businessman's Association.
Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Margaret Hoffman Carter, and one daughter, Ann Carter Marsh, both of Chevy Chase; two brothers, Walter E. Carter of Potomac, and Ferd E. Carter of Bethesda; two grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.