A former Reston Boy Scout leader, being held on charges of aggravated sexual assault and sodomy, was charged yesterday with three additional counts of sex abuse to juveniles under the age of 13, Fairfax County police said.
Carlton L. Bittenbender, 41, of 11917 Winterthur La. in Reston has been held at the county detention center since his Aug. 22 arrest. His bond, including that for the latest charges, totals $125,000.
Police spokesman Warren R. Carmichael said authorities had identified two more alleged victims since Bittenbender was taken into custody last month.
Bittenbender, formerly a manufacturers' representative, was unemployed at the time of his arrest, Carmichael said. The spokesman said the charges brought yesterday were based on events that allegedly occurred on Jan. 27, Feb. 4 and Feb. 25.
Bittenbender was a leader of Boy Scout Troop 1970, sponsored by the United Christian Parish in Reston, for about 1 1/2 years, according to the Rev. Douglas Ibach.
"He was a scoutmaster with our troop until last spring when he resigned," Ibach said. Ibach said he learned of the initial charges against Bittenbender from news accounts.
A search warrant for pedophilic material was executed at Bittenbender's apartment prior to his arrest but none was found, according to police.
Police said yesterday that the investigation is continuing. Bittenbender was arrested on similar charges in Rhode Island, according to a corrections official there.