These photographs, one circa 1930, the other a recent view, show the heart of Cleveland Park, the intersection of Connecticut Avenue and Porter Street NW, with the Broadmoor apartments and Rock Creek Park (created in 1890 as the nation's first urban federal park) at the rear. The Cleveland Park Metro station, opened in 1981, can be seen in the foreground of the 1985 picture; behind the shopping center is Adas Israel Synagogue.
President Grover Cleveland's purchase of a summer home in 1886 gave Cleveland Park its name. Although it was razed, other estates remain today, including that of National Geographic Society founder Gardiner Greene Hubbard, now the Chinese embassy.
Streetcar service began on Connecticut Avenue in 1892, connecting the city center and the suburb of Chevy Chase.
The 1925 Piggly Wiggly grocery store, visible in the early photo, was the area's first food market, according to longtime residents of the Broadmoor.
The 194-unit, eight-story Broadmoor was completed in 1929. Its first residents moved in during the month the stock market crashed. An early brochure described the luxury apartment house as the "home of prominent business executives, senators, representatives, Army and Navy officers, and of a select cross-section of official Washington." Residents have included Richard M. Nixon and the late U.S. senator Huey Long of Louisiana.
In 1930, monthly rents at the Broadmoor were among the highest in Washington, ranging from $85 for a single-bedroom apartment to $150 for a two-bedroom unit.