Two suburban Maryland men were wounded yesterday when an argument over a parking space erupted into violence and was followed by a high-speed chase and a shootout in a shopping center parking lot between one of the men and police, Prince George's County police reported.

One man was shot and critically wounded during the argument over the parking space in a District Heights residential area, and the second man was shot twice in the knee after he opened fire on District Heights and county police who had chased him at high speeds to the Great Eastern Shopping Center on Marlboro Pike near Sydney Avenue.

No other injuries were reported.

Boston Bailey Jr., 45, of 7305 Mason St., District Heights, was charged with assault with intent to murder in the original shooting incident and with shooting at police in the exchange of gunfire in the shopping center.

Bailey was listed in satisfactory condition last night at Prince George's General Hospital, according to officials there.

Manuel Thomas Frazier, 24, of 9809 Good Luck Rd., Seabrook, who was wounded in the first incident, was in critical condition last night at the University of Maryland Hospital's Shock-Trauma Unit in Baltimore, officials there said.

County police said the incident began at about 12:40 p.m. when Frazier parked his van near Wintergreen Avenue and Mason Street in District Heights.

They said a man ordered Frazier to move the van and an argument ensued when Frazier refused. The man then pulled a handgun from his waistband and shot Frazier in the back, police said.

They said witnesses told them that the man then went inside a house, reloaded the handgun and then emerged from the house and fired several shots into the air.

When a District Heights police officer, called by neighbors, arrived at the scene, the man got into a car and fled, police said.

The officer radioed for help from county police.

Officers pursued the man's car until it stopped in the parking lot and the man leaped from his car and fired on officers with the handgun and a rifle, police said. Officers returned his fire, striking him twice in the knee.