D.C. police yesterday continued to seek clues in the death of a 47-year-old woman whose severely decomposed body was found Friday in an apparently vacant house on Georgia Avenue NW seven weeks after her family reported her missing.

Meanwhile, Sarah Nell Mosby's six children moved out of their house at 5032 E St. SE yesterday to live with relatives, neighbors said.

The D.C. medical examiner's office was still trying to determine the cause of Mosby's death. Mosby had been listed as a critical missing person after police learned that she had frequent blackouts as a result of a bullet wound to her head several years ago. A bullet remained lodged in her brain from that incident, police said.

Mosby's family became concerned when she failed to return from a trip to the Hechinger Mall at 17th Street and Benning Road NE on Sept. 24.

"She was a nice person. She stayed at home and treated her children good. She was always ready to do you a favor," said neighbor Beatrice Bracey, 63, who said she had known Mosby for 18 years and had spoken to her the evening of her disappearance.

"I talked to her Tuesday the 24th," Bracey said. "We were talking about our bills that were coming up. She didn't seem depressed or anything. But she did have those blackouts.

"She told me she was going to the mall and that she would call me when she got back. She never called, and I was wondering where she was."

At the time, five of Mosby's children were living at the E Street address, including a boy who has Down's Syndrome. A daughter was living on her own, neighbors said. Bracey said Mosby did not work but received government support for her handicapped son.

After beginning the search for Mosby, police posted a missing person lookout for her one-time boyfriend, Russell Scott, 45, whose whereabouts remain unknown. He was convicted on gun charges in connection with the incident in which she was shot.

Police in the homicide office yesterday refused to give any details of the investigation. Police spokesman Joe Gentile said that while Scott and Mosby had been listed together as missing, Scott had not been identified as a suspect in the death.