None of his friends said it seemed strange to them that Glenn R. Krause continued his work as a painter, office custodian and jack-of-all-trades at age 75. A lean, restless man who looked years younger than his age, Krause wasn't the kind to slow down.

He had tried that once, after leaving the Air Force at the age of 60, and it was not to his liking.

"You know he just couldn't stand retirement," said his brother, Fairfax developer A. Frank Krause Jr. "He decided he didn't want to lay around and play golf and all of that. He worked every day since."

Krause was killed Tuesday morning when he landed on his head after falling 24 feet from a scaffold while painting a home in Clifton. The accident is under investigation, the normal procedure for construction deaths, according to Fairfax County police.

Krause lived at 10410 Main St., Fairfax City, in a small apartment in the office building where he worked part time as a custodian. Krause became a well-known artisan in Fairfax City, where he restored several buildings, including the historic Fairfax Herald building, built in 1865.

But those who knew him best said they will remember Krause as a free-spirit and raconteur. And Krause had a lifetime of stories to tell.

One of his favorite stories, said his brother, was about his trek to Antarctica as a civilian Navy employe in 1947. The trip was the last Antarctic expedition ever conducted by the explorer Adm. Richard E. Byrd.

A point jutting off the Antarctic coast is named for Krause.

"I just loved talking with him. He was terribly interesting because he had traveled so much," said Dianne Burgess, property manager for Lewis & Silverman Realtors, which owned the building where Krause worked and lived.

Krause was born in Milton, Pa., the son of a merchant and one of eight children.

In the 1930s he began work with the Navy as a hydrographer, an expert in the mapping of oceans and lakes. After the Antarctic expedition, Krause joined the Air Force as a photogrammetrist, which involves drawing maps from aerial photographs.

While stationed in West Germany, Krause met his wife, Helga, who lives in Wiesbaden as does their daughter, Jacqueline.

Shortly after his retirement in 1970, Krause moved from Wiesbaden to Fairfax City. He often returned to Germany to visit his family, his brother said, but he loved his travel and his work too much to stay.

When he was in Fairfax City he was besieged with requests by people needing work on their homes. "People were always asking for him, and he had to turn a lot of them down. He just didn't have the time."

"He never moved real fast, but he was steady. His work was just meticulous," said Fairfax lawyer J. Gordon Kincheloe, a longtime friend. Krause was working on a property owned by Kincheloe at the time of his fall.

In addition to houses, Krause loved restoring boats, and spent a lot of time on the water each year in Palm Beach, Fla., Kincheloe said.

Although many looked on in wonderment at his energy, Krause himself had no doubts about why he was able to continue his robust life style. Krause followed an almost fanatic regimen of exercise, health foods and vitamins, his friends said.