Robert L. Green, who resigned under pressure as president of the University of the District of Columbia, is moving out of the UDC president's residence near Chevy Chase Circle and will remain here working as an education consultant, according to D.C. officials who spoke with Green this week.

Green, who resigned Aug. 23 after disclosures that he had spent thousands of dollars of university funds on personal items, was given 90 days to vacate the $330,000 residence on Rittenhouse Street NW. Earlier this month, a Mullen's Transfer and Storage Co. moving van was seen parked in the driveway and a Mullen's spokesman confirmed the company had been hired to move Green's family. Today was the deadline for Green to move out.

University officials conducted a day-long inventory of the residence yesterday. UDC board Vice Chairman Thomas A. Hart said "everything checked out okay," according to John H. Britton, acting associate vice president for university relations.

"I don't want to comment on my private life," Green said yesterday during a brief telephone interview. "I'm not a public figure any more. I try like mad to stay out of the press. It's my private life and I would rather not comment about it."

The three months since Green resigned have been marked by internal strife at the university as different factions have competed to fill the power vacuum created by the departure of Green and several of his top aides. The latest edition of the university magazine, Insights, summed up this period with a cover entitled, "Putting the pieces together."

Top officials and trustees have said that despite lingering problems there are tangible improvements at the eight-year-old public university, including regularly scheduled open meetings of the board and its committees and more careful monitoring of university financial practices.

The UDC trustees have taken only preliminary steps to form a search committee to choose a permanent replacement for Green. Claude A. Ford, acting UDC president, is expected to serve in his current role for at least another year.

The FBI and the U.S. attorney's office also are continuing investigations of alleged financial improprieties by UDC officials, an FBI spokesman said this week.

After Green's resignation, he dined at the private University Club and charged several hundred dollars worth of meals to the university, according to a UDC official.

"Subsequent to Dr. Green's departure from the university there were invoices that came here that indicated there were some expenditures," UDC spokesman Britton confirmed yesterday. He said that Ford could not recall the amounts of the invoices and whether all of them were from the University Club.

Those that were, Britton said, "were sent to Dr. Green for his personal disposition."

Green has kept a low profile since his resignation, although he has attended a weekly fellowship meeting at the District Building with Mayor Marion Barry, City Council Chairman David A. Clarke and other elected officials.

Green, who is receiving his $74,900-a-year salary for one year as part of severance agreement with the UDC board, was planning to work as an education consultant and live in the District, according to Barry.