The Rev. G. Edison Burke, 68, a former Baptist clergyman who had been president of the G. Edison Burke & Co. real estate concern in Washington since 1964, died Dec. 6 at George Washington University Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Washington.
He came to this area in 1955 as a minister-counselor of Quaker Hill Inc., an affiliate of the Commercial Enterprises company. He served as interim pastor of the National Baptist Memorial Church in Washington from 1956 to 1957, then served as pastor of Bethel Baptist Church in Silver Spring, before entering the real estate business in 1960. He founded his own company four years later.
Rev. Burke, who was ordained in 1945, was a graduate of what was then the Austin Peay State Teachers College in his native Tennessee and earned master's degrees in theology and divinity at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville.
He trained in clinical pastoral psychology and counseling at the North Carolina Baptist Hospital and the Bowman Gray School of Medicine, also in North Carolina. Before moving to the Washington area, he had served as pastor of churches in Tennessee, Kentucky and Indiana.
Rev. Burke helped organize the Satellite Bible Class at the Arlington Temple United Methodist Church and Community Center in Arlington and had been a leader in the Sunday evening Metropolitan Hour there. He was a member of Riverside Baptist Church in Washington and had served as chaplain of the Washington Host Lions Club. He as a member of the Washington Board of Realtors.
Survivors include his wife of 38 years, Martha Nichols Burke of Washington, and five sisters, Thelma Kingins of New Baltimore, Mich., Maloy Cates of Silver Point, Tenn., Geneva Kingins of Bumpas Mills, Tenn., Oneta Harrell of Clarksville, Tenn., and Theta Burke of Suttons Bay, Mich.