In Maryland, two fires, one caused by electrical wiring on a Christmas tree and the other possibly by a holiday ornament around a bathroom window, left six people injured, four critically, fire officials said yesterday.

Four people were injured, including a 7-year-old boy who received second-degree burns over his entire body, in a fire early yesterday that destroyed a west Baltimore row house, city fire officials said.

Neighbors said Donald Fowlkes was afraid to follow a brother and sister who jumped out of a window at the rear of the home. He was listed in critical condition at the Francis Scott Key Medical Center.

Investigators said the blaze was caused by electrical wiring to ornaments on the family's Christmas tree.

A fire Christmas Eve at an apartment in Cumberland critically injured a 68-year-old woman and her 11-year-old granddaughter, according to the Maryland state fire marshal's office. State fire investigators said the blaze may have been started by a Christmas decoration around a bathroom window.

In another incident, in Olney, a fire caused by discarded fireplace ashes placed in a garage caused an estimated total of $140,000 in damage to a house at 4401 Pine Tree Rd. and to the contents of the house, Montgomery County fire officials said. No injuries were reported.