A 37-year-old Southeast Washington woman was fatally injured downtown yesterday when she was struck by a car fleeing the scene of an accident that had occurred moments earlier, D.C. police reported.

They said the woman, Sharlee R. McDonald of 5512 C St. SE, who was employed by the Agency for International Development and apparently was downtown shopping, was struck about 11:30 a.m. while in a crosswalk at H and 11th streets NW.

She was taken to George Washington University Medical Center, where she died about two hours later, police said.

They said the car involved in the incident had been in an accident less than a block away and was speeding from the scene when McDonald was struck. Police said the car had been reported stolen from Newburg, Md., on Saturday.

The driver, identified by police as Francis D. Adams, 22, of Waldorf, Md., was arrested outside the Washington Convention Center and charged with manslaughter, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, leaving the scene of an accident after colliding, passing a red light and driving without a D.C. permit.

In addition, Adams was wanted on a fugitive warrant from Prince George's County for violating the terms of his parole, D.C. police said.

He was being held last night at the cell block at D.C. police headquarters pending arraignment today in Superior Court.

Police said the incident started when a car traveling south on 11th Street NW struck a taxi that was pulling out of an alley between New York Avenue and H Street, near the Greyhound Bus station.

After the collision, the car sped south on 11th Street and attempted to pass a red light at H Street, but while in the intersection was struck by a trash truck, police said.

They said the impact caused the car to spin around and the left rear of the automobile struck McDonald, who was in the southern crosswalk on 11th Street.

The car then sped north on 11th Street and was pursued by the taxi to the 900 block of K Street, where a man parked the car, then got out and ran.

Police said the driver of the taxi, armed with a golf club ran after the man, tackling him once, and eventually chased him into the Washington Convention Center, where the man apparently changed clothes.

Outside, the taxi driver hailed a passing police officer, who arrested the man about 12:10 p.m. as he was leaving the Convention Center, police said.