A 17-year-old student was struck in the head and killed yesterday in an apparent fight with another youth on the grounds of Surrattsville High School in Clinton, the second student to be killed at a Prince George's school since September, police said.

Eric Christopher Hawk, 17, of 6905 Dunnigan Dr. in Clinton, died at Southern Maryland Hospital shortly after the incident, which occurred as he was about to board a school bus, according to police.

Police said last night that an arrest warrant had been issued for a juvenile student at Surrattsville, whose name was not released because of his age.

Several students said last night that Hawk had had numerous fights with another boy at school since last year.

Hawk's mother, Vivian Davis, said last night that police told her that her son was talking with a girl in the parking lot about 2:35 p.m. when he was approached by another youth. The two exchanged words, she said police told her, and Hawk was struck in the temple.

"I feel like my child has been killed for nothing," said Davis, who described her son as a quiet boy and a good student. Hawk, a junior at Surrattsville, was her only child. He lived with her and other relatives in the family's split-level home in a Clinton subdivision.

Bruce Gentile, a police spokesman, said Hawk "was struck in the head with something; we don't know what it is."

Students at the school were shocked by the incident. "It's scary," said 18-year-old Jim Garlock. "You see him two hours before and walk by and say 'Hi,' and now he's gone."

The earlier slaying at a county school occurred Oct. 30 when Dwayne Satterwhite, a Forestville High School student, was shot and killed in the school parking lot. Three youths, none of them students, were charged with that slaying the next day.

"I didn't think anything like that could happen here," said Surrattsville student Darryl Farmer, 17. Surrattsville, with an enrollment of about 1,300, is "a small school and everybody tries to get along with everybody else."

School system spokesman Brian J. Porter said there had been no recent incidents of violence at Surrattsville, which he said has won numerous academic awards. Porter said that a team of psychologists and guidance counselors will go to the school today to help students and faculty "deal with the emotional repercussions of this tragic incident." Extra security will also be provided during the next week, he said.

Friends and relatives gathered at Hawk's home last night described him as a quiet, fun-loving boy who had many friends. "Everyone who knew him loved him," said his grandmother, also named Vivian Davis. She said he was interested in studying accounting and had recently decided that he wanted to go into business.

Hawk's mother said her son had transferred to Surrattsville in 1983 from Eleanor Roosevelt High School in Greenbelt and that he initially had trouble adjusting.

"He didn't particularly like Surrattsville," she said, but he was a serious student. In fact, his grandmother said, he had been sick on Wednesday, but went to school yesterday because he was to take a test.

Hawk's grandmother, who called his death "a total waste," said, "It doesn't make any sense. You read about this kind of thing, but you never think you're going to experience it."