A 22-year-old Capitol Heights woman was shot and killed early yesterday by someone who fired from a vehicle that pulled alongside her car in the 2300 block of Bladensburg Road NE, according to D.C. police.

Pamela Oliver Breeden, a mother of two, was taken to Prince George's General Hospital at 1:30 a.m. and was pronounced dead of gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen about 20 minutes later, police said.

Police, saying the incident was under investigation, would not say how many times Breeden had been shot, or with what kind of gun. No one has been apprehended, they said. An autopsy is scheduled for this week.

Ethan King was working at the Metro Club on Bladensburg Road when he heard several loud noises in the rainy street outside.

He said he went to look and saw officers pulling a body from a white Monte Carlo with Virginia license plates.

Preston Talbert, who said he was Breeden's step-uncle, said, "she just got tied up with the wrong bunch."

According to relatives, Breeden became increasingly distant after the 1979 death of her stepfather, Russell Talbert, and the 1984 death of her mother, Elizabeth O. Talbert. She married seven years ago and had two children -- Angel, 6, and John Jr., 2 -- who live in foster homes.

A third child, Tiffany Ann, died after a premature birth several years ago, said her estranged husband, John Breeden.

Pamela Breeden and her husband, a house painter, separated two years ago. He said they saw each other the afternoon of the slaying.

"I talked to her about 4:40 p.m.," said Breeden. "We got some gifts to take over to the kids."

Then Pamela Breeden left, saying she had something to do downtown. Breeden said he does not know where she went, except that she had been staying at the Econo Lodge in Silver Spring.

Motel officials said they did not remember her but said she was registered.

"That girl had a rough life all her life," John Breeden said. "There were people leading her wrong. I tried to put a stop to it many times. Her birthday was Feb. 14. She would have been 23. I was planning on taking her out for dinner."