Robert Goodacre (Happy) Whitton, 80, a retired banker and stockbroker who was a past president of the Alexandria Rotary Club, the Alexandria Library Co. and the Alexandria Chamber of Commerce, died April 17 at Arellton, his home in Round Hill, Va.
A native of Alexandria, Mr. Whitton graduated from Alexandria High School. He attended Southeastern University, the American Institute of Banking and the Rutgers Graduate School of Banking.
In 1922, he went to work for the First National Bank of Alexandria. In 1940, he became administrator of Alexandria Hospital and he held that job through World War II. In 1949, after working briefly for the Burke and Herbert Bank and Trust Co., he opened the Alexandria office of Johnston Lemon & Co., a stock brokerage. He remained there 30 years, retiring in 1979 as a senior vice president. From 1979 to 1985, he worked in the Leesburg office of Alex Brown & Co., investment bankers.
Mr. Whitton also had been president of Whitton and Schreiner Inc., a real estate and insurance company, and the old George Mason Hotel in Alexandria, a vice president of the Belle Haven Realty Corp., and a secretary and director of the old Park and Shop Alexandria Corp.
He lived in Alexandria until 1962, when he moved to Loudoun County, eventually settling in Round Hill.
As a Rotarian, Mr. Whitton was named a Paul Harris Fellow, and in 1985 the Alexandria club named him Rotarian of the Year. He also was a member of the Leesburg Rotary Club and helped found clubs in Mount Vernon, Annandale, Springfield, Purcellville and elsewhere.
He had a particular interest in the history and culture of Alexandria. In addition to serving as president of the Alexandria Library Co., which operates the city's public library, he helped found the Historic Alexandria Association, the Alexandria Tourist Council and the Little Theatre of Alexandria. He also was a member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Mr. Whitton had an extensive collection of books, paintings and artifacts relating to Alexandria, and it is believed that they will form a central part of a proposed museum of Alexandria arts and crafts.
Mr. Whitton was a director of local chapters of the Davis Memorial Goodwill Industries, the United Negro College Fund and the National Conference of Christians and Jews. He was a member of the Westminster Presbyterian Church in Alexandria and a founder and an elder of the St. Andrew Presbyterian Church in Purcellville.
He was a member of the University Club in Washington and the Alexandria Jockey Club.
Survivors include his wife, the former Margaret Monroe, of Round Hill; three sons, Monroe (Chip) and John Black Whitton II, both of Alexandria, and Robert G. Whitton Jr. of Katonah, N.Y., and four grandchildren.