The Rev. Thomas Stone Dies; Presbyterian Pastor Emeritus

The Rev. Thomas A. Stone 70, pastor emeritus of the National Presbyterian Church in Washington where he served 25 years before retiring in 1981, died of cancer Feb. 15 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Dr. Stone specialized in Christian education and ministry to young adults. He founded the National Presbyterian Church's Sunday Evening Club, which grew to a membership of more than 500, and organized the 1830 club for single persons between 18 and 30 years old.

Dr. Stone came to the National Presbyterian Church as assistant minister and minister of Christian Education in 1948 and served in those capacities until 1952. From 1953 until 1960 he was minister of Christian education at the Pasadena Presbyterian Church in California, then returned to the National Presbyterian Church where he served again as minister of Christian education.

In 1966 Dr. Stone was named associate minister. He became pastor emeritus upon his retirement.

He was born in Bethany, Mo., graduated from San Diego State College and earned a degree in divinity at San Francisco Theological Seminary. He earned a doctorate in religious education at Yale.

Before joining the staff at the National Presbyterian Church, Dr. Stone was a professor of religious education at the College and Theological Seminary of the University of Dubuque and an associate minister at the Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church in New York City.

In Washington he was an adjunct professor of religious education at George Washington and American Universities, and he served as dean of the Christian Leadership Training School of the Council of Churches of Greater Washington. He was visiting minister for the Central Union Mission and the Presbyterian Home.

Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth W. Stone of Washington; two sons, John Howard Stone of Chicago and James Alexander Stone of Chestertown, Md., and a daughter, Anne Elizabeth Stone Crow of Washington.

GILBERT A. LeKANDER, 68, a former Capitol Hill staff member and the retired Washington representative of Montana Power Co. and Washington Water Power Co., died of congestive heart failure Feb. 13 at a hospital in Key West, Fla., where he was vacationing.

Mr. LeKander worked 28 years on Capitol Hill, 10 years as administrative assistant to Rep. Wesley D'Ewart (R-Mont.) beginning shortly after World War II, then 18 years as administrative assistant to Rep. Frank Bow (R-Ohio). He worked for the power companies from the early 1970s until he retired in 1983.

A native of Butte, Mont., Mr. LeKander graduated from the University of Montana. During World War II he was an Army Air Forces pilot serving in the China-Burma-India theatre and he flew the "Hump" over the Himalayas from India into China. He was awarded a Distinguished Flying Cross.

Mr. LeKander lived in Manassas and in retirement served on the Prince William County Plaanning Commission. He was chairman of the Prince William County Republican Party, a member of the Prince William County Historical Commisssion and the Hump Pilots Association and a former president of the Montana State Society.

His first wife, Carol Foster LeKander, died in 1973.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Squires LeKander of Manassas; a son of his first marriage, John Foster LeKander of Sperryville, Va.; five stepchildren, Rebecca Squires and Judith Strachan, both of Alexandria, Nancy Costello of Falls Church, Richard Squires of Washington and John Squires of Honolulu; a brother, George LeKander of Boulder, Colo.; a sister, Jo Olson of Chicago, and four grandchildren.

JENNIFER LAUTERBACH ROBBINS, 46, an assistant Maryland attorney general and the principal counsel for the state's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, died of cancer Feb. 15 at her home in Chevy Chase.

Mrs. Robbins had worked for health department for the last five years, and she had been principal counsel for the last two. Previously she had worked for two years as a lawyer in the office of civil rights in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in Washington.

She was born in New York City, graduated from Smith College and did postgraduate study in American history at Columbia University. She was assistant director of the Cooperative Health Information Center of Vermont, then received a law degree at the University of Denver College of Law.

Mrs. Robbins had lived in the Washington area since 1978.

Survivors include her husband, Dr. Anthony Robbins, and two sons, John Lloyd Robbins and Richard Edward Robbins, all of Chevy Chase; a sister, Ann March Lauterbach of New York City, and a brother, David Stuart Lauterbach of Lunenberg, Mass.

ALICE ALMETA BATTLE COOKS, 41, a secretary at the Labor Department for the last 13 years, died of cancer Feb. 13 at Washington Hospital Center.

Mrs. Cooks was born in Nash County, N.C., and moved to Washington in 1959. She graduated from Cardozo High School and attended the University of the District of Columbia.

Survivors include her husband, L.C. Cooks, a son, Frederick Battle, a daughter, Elmira Battle, and her mother, Mary E. Battle, all of Washington; four sisters, one brother and two grandchildren.

MICHAEL LEIGH GILLIKIN, 39, a native Washingtonian who was in the export-import business in Philadelphia, died Feb. 14 in a Philadelphia hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Gillikin was a graduate of Yorktown High School in Arlington. He attended Park College in Missouri and studied for the episcopal priesthood at a monastary in New York, but left for reasons of health before completing his training. He had lived in Philadelphia since 1972.

Survivors include his wife, Patricia Ann Gillikin of Philadelphia, and his mother, Maudie Bert Gillikin of Washington.

IONA T. GREENE, 81, a retired secretary at the Interstate Commerce Commission, died Feb. 12 at the Villa Rosa Nursing Home in Mitchellville after a heart attack.

Mrs. Greene, a resident of Washington, was born in Limestone, Maine, and attended the New England Conservatory of Music. She graduated from American University and received a master's degree in music from Catholic University. She was an enthusiastic amateur pianist.

She first came to Washington in the 1930s to work at the Post Office department, then transferred to the commerce commission in the 1940s. She retired in the early 1960s.

Her marriage to Walter Greene ended in divorce.

Survivors include a brother, Mark A. Trafton of Presque Isle, Maine.

THOMAS BRADBURY BARTLETT, 61, a Washington chiropractor since 1960, died Feb. 13 at his home in Washington after a stroke.

Dr. Bartlett was born in Derry, N.H., and graduated from Lafayette College and the Palmer College of Chiropractic Medicine in Davenport, Iowa. During World War II he served in the Navy.

He was a member of the International Chiropractic Association and chairman of the Chiropractic Board of Examiners for the District of Columbia.

Survivors include his wife, Eunice Gore Bartlett of Washington; two daughters, Jean Bartlett Law of Severna Park, Md., and Betsy Jennifer Bartlett of Silver Spring; a son, Thomas Bradbury Bartlett Jr. of Washington; his father, Richard C. Bartlett of Severna Park; three brothers, Richard C. Bartlett Jr. of Annapolis, Joseph P. Bartlett of New Haven, Conn., and Peter G. Bartlett of Davenport; seven grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.