Randolph Scott, 89, the soft-spoken hero of dozens of Western movies during the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s who was slow to anger but quick on the draw, died yesterday at his home in Los Angeles. He had heart and lung ailments.

Mr. Scott made more than 100 films in a 33-year career that ended with his retirement in 1962, and from 1950 to 1955 he was among the top 10 draws in the motion picture industry.

His pictures included 39 "big budget" Westerns, including "Fort Worth," "Man Behind the Gun," "Ride Lonesome," "Comanche Station," "Gunfighters," "Coroners Creek," "Belle Starr," "Virginia City" and "Santa Fe."

His last movie was "Ride the High Country," a 1962 film in which he played an aging gunfighter opposite another longtime Western favorite, Joel McCrea, under the direction of Sam Peckinpah.

The lanky, 6-foot-2 Mr. Scott was among the last of a generation of Western actors who were generally cast as straight shooters who sat tall in the saddle. He had a long, lean jaw and a rugged, outdoor image, and he came across as the type of man to whom beleaguered frontier officials might turn when looking for someone to "clean up the town," which they often did.

Western movies, Mr. Scott once said, "have been the mainstay of the industry ever since its beginning. And they have been good to me. Westerns are the type of picture which everybody can see and enjoy."

Ten years after his retirement, his cinematic endeavors were recalled by the Statler Brothers in a popular cowboy ballad, "Whatever Happened to Randolph Scott, Riding the Trail Alone," which suggested a yearning for the simplicity of the Western movies of an earlier era when it was easy to tell the good guys from the bad, and the good guys invariably won.

Born in Orange County, Va., Mr. Scott was educated in private schools and attended Georgia Tech and the University of North Carolina. After leaving college, he traveled in Europe for a year, then returned to Virginia, where he worked as an engineer for his father before heading West to try his hand at acting.

He began his film career with a bit role in "The Far Call" in 1929.

During the 1930s, he appeared in such movies as "The Last Roundup," "Home on the Range," "The Texans," "Jesse James" and "Frontier Marshal."

During World War II, he deviated from the standard Westerns to play military heroes in such films as "Corvette K-225," "Bombardier," "Gung-Ho!" and "China Sky."

Mr. Scott was usually as laconic off the screen as he was in his movies. "Frankly, I don't like publicity," he said in 1961, quoting stage producer David Belasco's dictum, "Never let yourself be seen in public unless they pay for it."

"To me that makes sense," Mr. Scott said. "The most glamorous, the most fascinating star our business ever had was Garbo. Why? Because she kept herself from the public. Each member of the audience had his own idea of what she was really like . . . . But take the stars of today. There is no mystery about them. The public knows what kind of toothpaste they use, whether they sleep in men's pajamas and every intimate fact of their lives."

Two of Mr. Scott's movies, "Sugarfoot" and "Colt .45," became television series. He did play an outlaw once, in "The Doolins of Oklahoma," and he appeared in such musicals as "Roberta" and "Follow the Fleet," with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, and in a comedy, "My Favorite Wife," with Irene Dunne and Cary Grant.

Mr. Scott's marriage to the former Marion duPont Somerville ended in divorce. She was once owner of Montpelier, the Orange County estate that once belonged to James Madison and which she made into one of the most successful horse breeding farms in Virginia.

Mr. Scott is survived by his wife of 43 years, Patricia Stillman Scott; two children by his second marriage, Christopher Scott and Sandra Scott Tyler, and three grandchildren.

PETER A. PIROGOV, 66, a retired Georgetown University associate professor who gained fame in 1948 when as a Soviet Air Force lieutenant he fled his native land in a bomber, died of an aneurysm Feb. 28 at the Washington Hospital Center. He lived in Stafford, Va.

Mr. Pirogov was a graduate of Tambov University and flew more than 100 missions against the Germans during World War II. A navigator and pilot, he and another officer defected from the Soviet Union when they flew a bomber from the Ukraine to an American air base near Linz, Austria.

After a brief time in New York, he settled in Washington. Before joining the faculty at Georgetown University in 1963, he had been a cabdriver, a script writer for Radio Liberation and the head of an anticommunist refugee organization.

For a time, Mr. Pirogov was an air information specialist at the Library of Congress. He had to give up the job because of a law barring the library from employing people who had been members of Communist Party organizations. He became a U.S. citizen in December 1958.

Mr. Pirogov earned a master's degree in linguistics at Georgetown University and served on the school's faculty until retiring in 1986. He taught courses dealing with the Soviet Union and the Russian language.

His autobiography, "Why I Escaped," was published in 1950. He received the Freedom Foundation's George Washington Honor Medal.

Survivors include his wife, Valentina Pirogov, and three daughters, Valentina Parker and Nina and Tamara Pirogov, all of Stafford.

BROMLEY K. SMITH, 75, executive secretary of the National Security Council during the Kennedy and Johnson administrations, died of cardiac arrest March 1 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Smith was on the NSC staff from 1953 until he retired about 1980, and he was executive director throughout the Johnson and Kennedy presidencies. Since his retirement, he had been an NSC consultant.

A native of Muscatine, Iowa, he was a graduate of Stanford University and had done postgraduate study at the Zimmern Institute in Geneva and the Sorbonne in Paris. He moved to Washington in 1935 and was a reporter and editor on the old Washington Daily News until 1940 when he joined the State Department's Foreign Service.

Mr. Smith's Foreign Service assignments included posts in Canada and Bolivia and staff assignments in the Office of the Secretary of State and on U.S. delegations to international conferences after World War II.

In 1964, he received the Presidential Award for Distinguished Federal Civilian Service.

He was a member of Diplomatic and Consular Officers Retired, the Metropolitan Club and the City Tavern Club.

Survivors include his wife, architect Chloethiel Woodard Smith of Washington; one son, Bromley K. Smith Jr. of Washington; one daughter, Susanne Smith Arias of Madrid; two sisters, Jean Burton of Wheaton, Ill., and Elaine Williams of Glenview, Ill., and one grandson.

CHARLES LAWRENCE JAEGER, 69, a Linotype operator at The Washington Post from 1966 until he retired in 1976, died of cancer Feb. 21 at the Moore Regional Hospital in Pinehurst, N.C.

Mr. Jaeger, of Pine Bluff, N.C., was born in Syracuse, N.Y. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe. He was a Linotype operator in Red Creek, N.Y., before moving to the Washington area in 1966 and settling in College Park. He moved to Pine Bluff when he retired from The Post.

Survivors include his wife, Marjorie Jaeger of Pine Bluff; two daughters, Zoe Weyer of Wilton, Conn., and Diane Ploussard of El Paso, Tex., and six grandchildren.

ELNORA McPHERSON PINKNEY, 79, a teacher and pupil personnel worker in the Charles County public school system until she retired in 1975 with 45 years of service, died Feb. 26 at Physicians Memorial Hospital in LaPlata, Md., after a heart attack.

Mrs. Pinkney, a lifelong resident of Waldorf, Md., attended Maryland State Normal School and graduated from Hampton Institute. She received a master's degree in education from New York University.

Early in her career, Mrs. Pinkney was the teacher and principal at a one-room elementary school in Bryce, Md. Later she taught at elementary schools in Waldorf and Bel Alton. She was a pupil personnel worker with the Charles County Board of Education when she retired in 1975.

Mrs. Pinkney was a member of the boards of directors of the Charles County Community College and the Charles County Board of Social Services. She was a member of the Charles County Retired Teachers Association, the American Association of University Women, St. Philip's Episcopal Church in Baden, Md., the League of Women Voters, the NAACP, the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority and the Malcom Recreation Association.

Her husband of 48 years, Howard Pinkney, died in 1984. Survivors include two children, Stacey Martin of Seattle and Rosetta Johnson of LaPlata; one stepson, Howard Makle of LaPlata; 14 grandchildren, and 15 great-grandchildren.