Arnold Bauer Barach, 73, an editor at Kiplinger's Changing Times magazine here for more than 30 years including four years as executive editor of the publication before his retirement in 1979, died March 31 at George Washington University Hospital after a heart attack.

Since his retirement Mr. Barach had been secretary and trustee of the Kiplinger Foundation where his duties involved awarding grants in support of educational, social and cultural projects.

Mr. Barach was born in Wallingford, Conn. He was a graduate of Wesleyan University and the Columbia School of Journalism. During the late 1930s and 1940s he worked as a news reporter in New Haven, Conn., and in Washington. He also worked as a writer for the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

During World War II, Mr. Barach was an information specialist with the War Production Board and later with the Office of War Information where he was assigned to a psychological warfare unit in London, North Africa, Italy and Austria. His last assignment in that job was to publish German language daily newspapers in Linz and Vienna.

He returned to Washington and joined Changing Times magazine as an assistant editor in 1948.

Mr. Barach was the author of six books and a frequent lecturer on economic trends, the future of American society and the consumer movement.

He was president of the National and District of Columbia Mental Health Association, a past chairman of the board of the Washington D.C. School of Psychiatry, a trustee of the William Alanson White Psychiatric Foundation in Washington, secretary of the Washington Journalism Center and a member of the executive committees and boards of the World Future Society and the Hospice of Washington, of which he also was a founder.

He lived in Chevy Chase.

Mr. Barach's wife, Stephanie Barach, died last year.

Survivors include two daughters, Susan Barach Rebell of Rye, N.Y., and Sabina Barach of Astoria, N.Y.; a son, Steven Barach of Short Hills, N.J.; a sister, Bea Schalet of Washington; and five grandchildren.


85, retired president and chief executive officer of the Carey Winston Co., a real estate mortgage banking and property management company, died of an aneurysm April 1 at the Carriage Hill Nursing Home in Bethesda.

Mr. Winston was a past president of the Mortgage Bankers Association of America, the Washington Metropolitan Mortgage Bankers Association, the Washington D.C. Board of Realtors, and the International Real Estate Management Association.

Mr. Winston was born in Seattle. He attended the University of Washington. He moved to the D.C. area in 1934 and went to work for the Homeowners Loan Corp. as assistant general manager. He later became a deputy board member of the Federal Home Loan Bank Board.

He founded the Carey Winston Co. in 1941. One of the firm's first management contracts was with the Willard Estates, which included the Willard Hotel. He retired in 1975. He had been a lecturer at American University.

Mr. Winston had served on the boards of the Carey Winston Co., the District Title Insurance Co., the National Savings and Trust Bank, St. Albans Episcopal Church in Washington, and the National Cathedral.

He was a member of the Metropolitan Club and the Congressional Country Club.

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Evelyn Cram Winston of Washington; one son, Michael Winston of Washington; one daughter, Jane Winston Hall of Atlanta, and three grandsons.


78, the retired president of the old H.G. Eaton Real Estate Co. and a former housing inspector with the D.C. Department of Housing and Community Development, died of congestive heart failure March 30 at the home of his son in Lanham.

The Rev. Eaton, of Washington, was born in Iberia, La. He moved to the Washington area in 1929 and went to work as a chauffeur. During the late 1930s, he wrote a weekly newspaper column for the old Washington Tribune and two out-of-town newspapers.

He drove for the Eastside Taxi Co. from 1935 to 1964. He started the Eaton Moving Co. in 1938 and operated that firm until 1965. He also owned and operated a carryout restaurant and worked as a housing inspector for the D.C. government from 1969 to 1977.

The Rev. Eaton became a real estate salesman in 1945 and founded H.G. Eaton Real Estate in 1948. He was president of the company until he retired in 1980.

As a broker and a home buyer, he participated in litigation that led to the 1948 Supreme Court decision that outlawed racial restrictive covenants once used to prevent blacks from renting or buying property in white neighborhoods.

The Rev. Eaton was an associate minister and board member of Asbury United Methodist Church in Washington. He had been on the staff of the church for more than 50 years and he helped organize a junior church there in 1932. He had served on the allocation board of the United Way Campaign.

He had written an autobiography, "One Step Out of Slavery."

His wife of 52 years, Ordee Scruggs Eaton, died in 1984. Survivors include two sons, the Rev. David H. Eaton of Washington, a member of the D.C. School Board and the pastor of All Souls Unitarian Church in Washington, and Harold G. Eaton Jr. of Lanham; two daughters, Ordee Delores Trotter of Hampton, Va., and Patricia Eaton of Washington, and nine grandchildren.


83, an employe of the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. for 43 years until he retired in 1969 as a supervisor in the construction department, died of pneumonia March 28 at Physicians Memorial Hospital in LaPlata.

Mr. Fugitt, of Waldorf, was born in Washington.

He was a member of the Alexander Graham Bell Chapter of the Telephone Pioneers of America, the First Baptist Church of Waldorf, Elks Lodge No. 2421 and the Pinefield Senior Citizens Club.

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Julia A. Fugitt of Waldorf; two children, Helen Shimansky of Crofton, Md., and Leroy J. Fugitt of Cody, Wyo.; eight grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.


48, a Washington native who had managed stage shows on Broadway for 20 years before attending law school in California, died of lung cancer March 27 at Howard County General Hospital in Columbia.

Mr. Payne grew up in Washington and was a graduate of Yale University's School of Fine Arts.

After working in show business in New York City for 20 years, he enrolled in law school at the University of California at Berkeley. At the time of his death, he lived in San Francisco and worked for the San Francisco law firm of Heller, Ehrman, White and McAuliffe.

Survivors include his mother, Frances Cardozo Payne of Columbia; one brother, Dr. John C. Payne of Columbia, and one sister, Neenah Payne of New York City.


79, a fourth-grade teacher at St. Albans School in Washington for 22 years before he retired in 1973, was found dead of a heart attack March 30 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Spicer was born in Detroit and graduated from the University of Michigan where he also earned a master's degree. Before joining the St. Albans' faculty he taught at St. Barnard's School in New York City.

Since his retirement, Mr. Spicer had remained on the St. Albans' staff as a tutor and substitute teacher.

Survivors include a sister, Estelle Spicer Bohne of Grosse Pointe, Mich.


80, a retired bank examiner with the U.S. Treasury Department, died of cardiac arrest March 26 at George Washington University Hospital. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Hancock was born in Roanoke. He moved to the Washington area in the early 1920s and graduated from Episcopal High School in Alexandria and from the University of Virginia. He received a master's degree in business administration from Harvard University.

During World War II, he served in the Army. He joined the Treasury Department in the late 1940s and retired in 1965.

Survivors include one brother, John W. Hancock Jr. of Roanoke, and two sisters, Mrs. Harry D. McReynolds of Roanoke and Mary Spalding of Weems, Va.