Frank Carlson, 94, an amiable and highly respected Kansas Republican who served for 40 years as a state legislator, congressman, governor and U.S. senator, died May 30 at St. Joseph's Hospital in Concordia, Kan. He had a bronchial ailment.

Sen. Carlson served in the Senate from November 1950 to January 1969. Before that, he served nearly four years as governor. He was a member of the House of Representatives from 1935 to 1947. He served in the Kansas state house from 1929 to 1933, and was chairman of the state Republican central committee from 1932 to 1934.

In the Senate, he became identified with the liberal wing of his party. He was a leader in the 1952 campaign to gain his party's presidential nomination for Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower over Sen. Robert A. Taft (R-Ohio).

Sen. Carlson served on two of the Senate's most powerful committees, Finance and Foreign Relations, and also sat on the Joint Congressional Committee on Internal Revenue Taxation. Long considered a friend of the federal worker, at the time he retired he was ranking Republican on the old Post Office and Civil Service Committee.

He was elected to the Senate to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Republican Sen. Clyde M. Reed. He was reelected in 1956 and 1962. He was not a candidate for reelection in 1968 and was succeeded by Robert J. Dole, now the minority leader.

Upon learning of Sen. Carlson's death, Dole said in a statement: "Another giant in Kansas politics is gone. Frank Carlson was a friend, an adviser and a role model. He wrote the book when it came to class."

After leaving politics, Sen. Carlson and his wife Alice, whom he married in 1919, went home to the 500-acre family farm near Concordia. For more than a decade after leaving office, he could be seen driving a tractor, plowing a field or baling hay. Mrs. Carlson died in May 1986 at age 91.

Sen. Carlson was a native of Concordia and served in the Army during World War I. He attended the Concordia Normal and Business College and Kansas State College at Manhattan before beginning his career in farming and stock raising.

In a 1983 interview, Sen. Carlson said he had never intended to enter politics. But in 1928, while he was busy harvesting wheat, a group of friends came to his farm and asked permission to file his name as a candidate for the state legislature.

"I told them I didn't have time to fool with that," he remembered. "They assured me I wouldn't have to worry, that I wouldn't be elected."

They were wrong. Between 1928 and 1968, Sen. Carlson ran for office 13 times and was victorious in every election.

His survivors include a daughter and a foster son.


71, a Democrat who was governor of Rhode Island from 1969 to 1973, died of cancer May 30 at Roger Williams Hospital in Providence.

He had been a state senator from 1949 to 1956, then was a state superior court judge before being elected governor. In 1968, he defeated the Republican incumbent, John H. Chafee, now a U.S. senator. Gov. Licht was reelected in 1970, but chose to return to private life after his second term ended in 1973.

As governor, he helped push through the state's first income tax, which ended the state's fiscal crises of the 1960s. In proposing the tax law, he rejected campaign promises he had made in 1968 and 1970.

His survivors include his wife, Dorothy; his father, Jacob; three daughters, and four grandchildren. A nephew, Richard A. Licht, is the lieutenant governor of Rhode Island.


42, a real estate saleswoman with Re/Max Central real estate in Annandale, died of a cerebral aneurysm May 29 at Fairfax Hospital. She lived in McLean.

Mrs. Sturgis was born in Baltimore and graduated from Catonsville Community College. She moved to the Washington area about 1972 and worked in the travel industry until 1980. She was a saleswoman with Mount Vernon Realty before joining Re/Max about 1982.

She was a Top Producer of the Northern Virginia Board of Realtors and a member of the board's Million Dollar Sales Club.

Mrs. Sturgis enjoyed collecting oriental rugs, playing the dulcimer and windsurfing.

Survivors include her husband, Kermit C. Zeig Jr., and a son, Eric C. Zeig, both of McLean; her parents, Margaret C. and Littleton B. Sturgis of Baltimore; four brothers, Timothy and Daniel Sturgis, both of Baltimore, Stephen Sturgis of Savannah, Ga., and Paul Sturgis of Randallstown, Md.; five sisters, Kathleen Sturgis of San Francisco, Nancy Croney of Marysville, Md., Susan Sturgis of Baltimore, Jean Sener of Glen Rock, Pa., and Peggy Chagnon of Laurel.


69, a retired State Department employe who was a member of St. Gabriel's Catholic Church in Washington, died of cancer May 26 at George Washington University Hospital. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Saunders-McNeill was born in Philadelphia and moved here at an early age. She was a graduate of Dunbar High School and attended Howard University. She taught stenographic courses at the old Jennifer Business College in the early 1950s.

She began her government career as a secretary with the Agriculture Department in 1957. Three years later, she transferred to the State Department, where she was an executive secretary in Washington until 1977. She then spent three years in Paris as a liaison official between the State Department and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. She retired in 1980.

Her marriage to Norman S. Saunders Sr. ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband, Robert McNeill of Washington; three children by her first marriage, Ermine Saunders of Alexandria, Norman S. Saunders Jr. of Washington, and Steven Omar Saunders of Los Angeles; a sister, Ermine Ford of Alexandria, and three grandchildren.


78, a retired owner and operator of D. Ballauf Manufacturing Inc., a Washington firm that makes machines used to count paper money, died May 29 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He had emphysema.

Mr. Hayes, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Washington. He joined Ballauf in 1928 and became owner of the firm in 1944. He retired about 1977. He had numerous inventions and held about 30 patents, including one for an adjustable hospital bed. He had been a member of the Izaak Walton League, the Chesapeake Yacht Club in Shadyside, Md., and the Congressional Country Club in Bethesda.

Survivors include his wife, Kathryn Taylor Hayes of Bethesda; two daughters, Margaret Blair Hayes of Highland, Md., and Kathryn Hayes of Laytonsville; one son, Thomas E. Hayes III of Rockville; one sister, Anna Cook of Alexandria, and two grandchildren.


88, who owned and operated an Alexandria hardward store for more than 50 years before retiring in 1984, died of cancer May 29 at Alexandria Hospital. He lived in Alexandria.

Mr. Miller was born in Washington and graduated from McKinley Technical High School. He attended what is now Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh and served in the Army during World War I. He operated a soda fountain and a cigar counter in Washington before opening his store in 1940. He helped operate the store until it was closed in 1984.

He was a Mason and a member of Beth El Hebrew Congregation in Alexandria and of the Alexandria Odd Fellows.

Survivors include his wife of 63 years, Eva F. Bregman Miller, one daughter, Elaine Rosenberg, and one son, Sheldon M. Miller, all of Alexandria; six grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren.


80, who operated Beeson Travel Agency in Washington from the early 1950s until she retired in the late 1960s, died May 27 at Thomas House retirement home in Washington after a heart attack.

After retiring from the travel business, she did volunteer work for the Red Cross, participated in an experimental program in which lay persons helped mediate disputes in the small claims division of D.C. Superior Court, and was a tour guide at the Kennedy Center.

Mrs. Stavrides, who had lived in this area since the early 1950s, was born in Portland, Ore., and graduated from the University of Oregon. She worked during the 1930s as director of the Minnesota League for Planned Parenthood, then in the 1940s helped establish a public information and development department for the Menninger Foundation and Clinic in Topeka, Kan.

During World War II, she worked for the International Red Cross in Europe as a liaison between the U.S. Army and civilians. For this work, she received medals from this country, France and Belgium. Later, she was a liaison officer between the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the Canadian Department of External Affairs and the U.S. State Department.

Her marriage to Lewis Beeson ended in divorce.

Her second husband, Theoharis Stavrides, died in 1977. Survivors include a sister, Dorothy Johnson of Tigard, Ore.