Dr. John H. Bayly, 73, a prominent surgeon who had taught at area medical schools and held senior posts in several area hospitals and medical groups, died May 31 at Georgetown University Hospital. He had cancer and pneumonia.
Since 1978, he had been affiliated with the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, where he had been a surgeon at the hospital and a clinical surgery professor at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences.
Dr. Bayly had practiced medicine and was a surgeon in Washington from 1945 to 1978. In addition to a private practice, he had served as a vice president of the medical staff at the old Prince George's General Hospital and vice chairman of the staff at Children's Hospital. He also had been a senior surgeon at George Washington University, Georgetown University, and Capitol Hill hospitals. He had taught at Georgetown since the early 1970s.
He was a past president of both the Washington Medical and Surgical Society and the Washington Academy of Surgery. He had been an examiner with the American Board of Surgery and was a 1963 recipient of the Southeast Surgical Society's Gold Medal. He had been an associate editor of Children's Hospital's Clinical Proceedings magazine and was a member of the John Carroll Society.
He was the author of technical work dealing with surgical technique and medical research. In 1963, he presented a paper to the American College of Gastroenterology on use of the umbilical canal in diagnostic work.
Dr. Bayly, who lived in University Park, Md., was born in Troy, N.Y., and moved here in 1936. He was a graduate of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and earned his medical doctorate at Georgetown University in 1940. He interned at a hospital in Troy, and served residencies in pathology and surgery at the old Gallinger Hospital here.
He was a member of St. Mark's Catholic Church in Washington, and had served on the boards of both the St. Joseph's Boys Orphanage in Washington and the Regina Catholic Girls High School in Hyattsville.
Survivors include his wife, the former Salome Winters, of University Park; five sons, John Jr., of Washington, Dr. Timothy C., of Kensington, Dr. Brian, of University Park, and Terrence and Kevin, both of Bowie; five daughters, Josephine McAuley of Ridgefield, Conn., Madelaine Kirlin of Kensington, Loretta Gallagher of Bowie, Bridget Zarate of Bethesda, and Louise Bayly of Rockville; two brothers, Richard, of Tivoli, N.Y., and Timothy (Ted), of Troy; a sister, Mary Baldwin of Cocoa Beach, Fla., and 24 grandchildren.
PHILIP SAMUEL BROWN,
72, a retired information chief with the Agriculture Department's Farmers Home Administration, died May 30 at Bebe Memorial Hospital in Lewes, Del., from injuries he received in a traffic accident earlier that day in Bethany Beach, Del.
A spokesman for the Bethany Beach police said that at about 9:30 p.m., Mr. Brown was crossing Rte. 1 in a poorly lit pedestrian crosswalk when he was struck by a car. No charges have been filed and the accident is under investigation, police said.
Mr. Brown, who maintained a vacation home in Bethany Beach, was a resident of Washington. He moved to this area in 1936 when he joined the old Resettlement Administration as an information officer. After serving with the Army in Europe in World War II, he worked for Agriculture until retiring in 1969. He then joined what became Rural America, a nonprofit organization here, and was its information chief until retiring a second time in the late 1970s.
He was a member of All Souls Unitarian Church in Washington and had served on the board of Change All Souls Housing Corp. He was a member of the National Press Club in Washington. In Bethany Beach, he had published a newsletter for the landowners' association.
Mr. Brown was a graduate of Niagara University in his native New York state.
Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Polly, of Washington; three daughters, Kate Gillis of East Greenwich, R.I., Deborah Brown of Atlanta, and Suzanne Kulik of Worthington, Mass., and six grandchildren.
MARY THELMA CALLAHAN,
72, a former government secretary and administrative assistant who lived in this area until about 10 years ago, died May 29 at a hospital in Honolulu. She had a heart ailment.
After leaving this area, she lived in Japan for four years before moving to Honolulu, where she resided at the time of her death.
Mrs. Callahan, a former Arlington resident, was a native of Washington. She was a graduate of the old Western High School and the Washington School for Secretaries. She worked for the Federal Home Loan Bank Board from about 1932 to about 1950.
Her marriage to Edwin G. Callahan ended in divorce.
Survivors include a daughter, Eleanor C. Parnell of Honolulu, and five grandchildren.
65, a retired government nurse who retired as a lieutenant colonel in the Army reserves in 1972 and who was a member of Good Shepherd Episcopal Church in Silver Spring, died of cancer May 30 at Georgetown University Hospital. She lived in Bethesda.
Miss Bridges was born to British parents in Hamilton, Ontario, and moved to this country in 1923. She settled in McKeesport, Pa., where she graduated from a hospital nursing school. She also received a bachelor's degree in nursing at the University of Pittsburgh.
She served on active Army duty as a nurse in India during World War II and in Korea during the war there. After retiring from active duty in 1957, she returned to Pennsylvania and taught nursing at the McKeesport Hospital nursing school.
Miss Bridges came to the Washington area in 1962 and spent the next 10 years as a nurse with the National Institutes of Health. She then transferred to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, where she worked until retiring in 1984.
Survivors include two brothers, Henry Bridges of Dravosburg, Pa., and Robert Bridges of Mars, Pa., and a sister, Marian Carter of Bethesda.