Francis B. Burch, 68, a conservative Democrat and a three-term attorney general of Maryland who made an unsuccessful bid for his party's nomination for governor in 1978, died of cancer yesterday at Greater Baltimore Medical Center.

Mr. Burch, who was city solicitor in Baltimore and Maryland insurance commissioner for two years before his election as attorney general, shared the state's political stage with several of the major figures of a tumultuous era in Maryland politics.

He first ran in 1966 on a Democratic ticket headed by George P. Mahoney, who based his candidacy on opposition to open occupancy legislation in housing and on the campaign slogan "Your Home is Your Castle." Mr. Burch maintained his distance from Mahoney in that election, and he won handily while Mahoney lost the governorship to Republican Spiro T. Agnew.

In 1970 and 1974, he was reelected on a ticket headed by Gov. Marvin Mandel, who later was convicted and jailed on racketeering and mail fraud charges. But when he ran for governor himself, Mr. Burch was unable to win the support of the interests and organizations that backed Mandel and he withdrew from the race after a 2 1/2-month campaign.

In 12 years as attorney general, Mr. Burch was not considered an activist. But he defended consumer rights and environmental interests and he prosecuted a number of antitrust cases. He was criticized for agreeing to a plea bargain that allowed the fund-raising head of the Pallotine fathers to go free on probation after admitting mishandling more than $2 million donated for the poor.

With a mane of pure white hair, a seemingly perpetual tan and a trim physique, Mr. Burch was sometimes said to be the Hollywood image of a politician. He had a strong following among blue-collar voters, but he also liked to say that he was too independent politically and too blunt ever to have been "one of the boys."

He was born in Baltimore and graduated from Loyola College there and from Yale Law School. He practiced law in Baltimore before being named city solicitor in 1961. He was state insurance commissioner in 1965 and 1966.

In the early 1960s, he was a founder of the Constitutional Prayer Foundation, an organization that opposed court bans on prayer in public schools, and he argued several court cases involving issues of prayer in schools.

Since 1978, Mr. Burch had practiced law in Baltimore, worked as a lobbyist in Annapolis and been involved in several business dealings. He entered the race for attorney general last year, saying he wanted to return that office to its proper role as lawyer for the state. He then threw his support to the eventual winner, J. Joseph Curran Jr.

Mr. Burch's survivors include his wife, Patricia, and seven children.


79, a former executive vice president and trust officer with the Riggs National Bank who later practiced law in Washington, died May 31 at Georgetown University Hospital. He had cancer.

Mr. Wiegering joined Riggs in 1950 and retired in 1978. From 1978 to 1984, he practiced with the law firm of Reasoner Davis & Fox in Washington as a probate and trust specialist.

A resident of Washington, he was born in Youngstown, Ohio. He graduated from the University of Virginia and its law school. He moved to the Washington area in 1940.

During World War II and for about five years afterward, Mr. Wiegering served in the Navy.

He was a former commander of the Corinthian Yacht Club in Washington, a former chairman of the President's Cup Regatta and a member of the Army & Navy Club in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Eleanor Clark Wagner Wiegering of Washington.


95, a founder and former president of the George Washington University Faculty Women's Club and the Pan American Liaison Committee of Women's Organizations, died of pneumonia May 31 at the Grosvenor Health Care Center in Bethesda.

Mrs. Donaldson, a resident of the Washington area since 1917, also was a former president of the Puerto Rican-American Women's League and the director of inter-American affairs of Pi Gamma Mu, the national social science honor society. She contributed articles on economic and social questions in Latin America to The Washington Post, the old Washington Evening Star, the Archives of the Daughters of the American Revolution and other publications.

In addition, she wrote a history of Lafayette Square called "The President's Square."

A native of New York City, Mrs. Donaldson graduated from Elmira College in Elmira, N.Y. During World War I, she worked for the federal Workers Compensation Commission in Washington. In 1925, she graduated from George Washington University, where she majored in political economy and economics.

She lived in Washington until moving to a nursing home five years ago.

Her husband, Dr. John Donaldson, a professor at George Washington University, died in 1955.

Survivors include one son, John C.L. Donaldson of Washington; one sister, Marjorie F. Hahn of Savannah, Ga., and two grandchildren.


86, the founder of the old Rio Grande restaurant in Washington and Rockville, where his guests included former presidents Herbert Hoover, Lyndon B. Johnson and Richard M. Nixon, died of pneumonia May 28 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital in Rockville.

Mr. Diaz, a resident of Rockville, was born in Durango, Mexico. He came to this country in 1923 and settled in Washington in 1927. In his early years here, he gained a reputation as a cook for the Mexican Embassy and at private parties.

In 1939, Mr. Diaz opened the Rio Grande at 1735 F Street NW. In 1945, he moved the business to Rockville. In 1972, he retired and turned it over to a daughter. She operated the business until 1985, when it was closed.

In retirement, Mr. Diaz grew vegetables, roses and fruit trees. He was a former member of the parish of St. Mary's Catholic Church and, more recently, he was a member of the parish of St. Elizabeth's Catholic Church in Rockville.

Survivors include his wife, Lydia R. Diaz of Rockville; two daughters, Lydia Diaz Jasso of Annapolis and Sister Grace Diaz S.N.J.M. of Albany, N.Y., and two brothers, Genaro Diaz of Guadalajara, Mexico, and Miguel Angel Diaz of Durango.


86, who worked for the Army and Air Force Motion Picture Service for 28 years before retiring in 1962 as a senior engineer, died May 29 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He had a heart ailment.

Mr. Kiczales, who lived in Washington, was a native of New York City and moved here in 1928. He earned a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering at the Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute.

He was a member of Adas Israel Congregation and the Benjamin Franklin Masonic Lodge.

His first wife, the former Flora Gordon, died in 1948.

Survivors include his wife, Florence Kay Kiczales of Washington; one son by his first marriage, Dr. A.C. Kiczales of Winchester, Va.; one sister, Gussie Kiczales of Fort Lauderdale Lakes, Fla., and two grandchildren.


80, a resident of the Washington area since 1953 who was active in church groups, died of arteriosclerosis June 1 at Alexandria Hospital. She lived in Alexandria.

She was a member of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Alexandria and was a cooperator with the Opus Dei Catholic organization.

Mrs. Turner was a 1927 graduate of the Worcester Art Museum in her native Worcester, Mass. She was a school art teacher in Leicester, Mass., from 1927 to 1934. She lived in Washington for about a year in the mid-1940s, then resided in New York and Wisconsin before returning here.

Survivors include her husband of 52 years, Cornelius P. (Neil) Turner; one son, Brian, of Fairfax, and two brothers, five sisters and two grandchildren.


49, former office manager for her husband's medical practice in Beltsville, died of cancer May 31 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mrs. Yoon, a resident of Potomac, was born in Korea and attended Yon Sei Christian University. She came to the United States in 1966 and lived in Chicago and Baltimore before moving to the Washington area in 1970.

She was office manager for her husband, Dr. Man Joong Yoon, from 1972 to 1986.

She was a member of the Washington Korean Adventist Church.

In addition to her husband, of Potomac, Mrs. Yoon is survived by two sons, Dr. Sydney Yoon of Potomac and Isaac Yoon, a medical student at Tulane University in New Orleans; her mother, Soon-Kum Kim of Potomac; two sisters, Hwa-Soon Choi of Korea and Sue Huang of Ohio, and three brothers in Korea, Young Ho Park, Young Joon Park and Young W. Park.