BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS -- Prime Minister Errol Barrow, 67, a veteran politician who guided Barbados to independence from Great Britain in 1966 and who sought to increase Caribbean unity, died June 1 at his home in Bridgetown. The cause of death was not reported.

After Mr. Barrow's death, Governor General Sir Hugh Springer immediately swore in Erskine Sandiford, who is the deputy prime minister, minister of education and labor and leader of the House of Assembly, as the nation's new prime minister. Sir Hugh also said all other cabinet members would be reappointed.

It was the second time in two years that Barbados' prime minister has died in office. On March 14, 1985, 53-year-old Tom Adams suffered a fatal heart attack.

Errol Walton Barrow was born in St. Lucy, Barbados, 270 miles northeast of Venezuela, on Jan. 21, 1920. He was the son of a clergyman. He enlisted in Britain's Royal Air Force in 1940, serving as a navigation officer on more than four dozen combat missions over Europe during World War II.

After World War II, he studied law at the University of London, and passed the bar at Lincoln's Inn in 1949. He was a 1950 graduate of the London School of Economics.

Returning to Barbados, Mr. Barrow was elected to Parliament in 1951. The founder and leader of the Democratic Labor Party, he became premier in 1961, when Barbados gained full internal self-government. He was elected to two successive five-year terms as prime minister after the island gained full independence from Britain.

After his election defeat in September 1976 by Adams' Barbados Labor Party, Mr. Barrow spent a brief period as lecturer at the University of Miami. He never gave up his seat in Parliament and eventually became opposition leader. In May 1986, he was swept back into office when his party won 24 of the 27 seats in the House of Assembly. He defeated Adams' appointed successor, Bernard St. John.

The main issue in the 1976 elections was Barbados' deteriorating economy, largely brought on by oil price increases. A main issue in last year's polling was Barbados' relations with the United States. A declared socialist with centrist policies, Mr. Barrow criticized U.S. economic and military domination of the Caribbean. He also opposed this country's 1983 invasion of Grenada.

He was perhaps best-known at home and abroad for his staunch opposition to apartheid in South Africa and his emphasis on regional unity. When the West Indies Federation collapsed in the 1962, Mr. Barrow helped form the Caribbean Free Trade Association, which evolved into today's 13-nation Caribbean Community.

When the community met in July in Guyana, he repeated his criticism of the Grenada invasion, in which Barbados and other eastern Caribbean nations participated, and pledged never to allow Barbadian territory to be used to launch attacks against neighboring countries.

His survivors include his New Jersey-born wife, the former Carolyn Plaskett, from whom he has been separated for several years; a son, David, and a daughter, Lesley. His sister, Dame Nita Barrow, is Barbados ambassador to the United Nations.


73, retired vice president of the Washington office of Hamilton Standard, a division of United Technologies Corp., died June 1 at Georgetown University Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Shinkoff had worked 46 years for Hamilton Standard, a company that specializes in aerospace and aircraft products, before his retirement in 1986. At the time of his death, he was a consultant to the company.

He came to Washington in 1950 to work on government-related aspects of what then was the company's only product -- aircraft propellers -- and he helped lead Hamilton Standard into the development of a variety of aerospace control systems, including technology relating to the production of spacesuits, and the regulation of temperatures and oxygen levels on manned space flights.

In 1963, Mr. Shinkoff was named manager of Hamilton Standard's Washington office, and he became vice president in 1978.

A resident of Potomac, he was born in Bulgaria. He moved to New York in 1920 and later to Chicago. He was a graduate of the University of Illinois and joined Hamilton Standard in Windsor Locks, Conn., as an hourly production worker in 1940.

He was a former member of the board of governors and treasurer at Congressional Country Club, where he had also served for seven years as chairman of marshals for the Kemper Open Golf Tournament. He was also a member of the Capitol Hill Club and the National Space Club.

Survivors include his wife, Peggy, of Potomac; three sons, James A. Shinkoff Jr. of Windsor Locks, and Tom and John Shinkoff, both of Potomac; one daughter, Linda Rucker of Atlanta; one brother, Nicholas Shinkoff of St. Petersburg, Fla.; one sister, Hope Shinkoff of Fort Lee, N.J., and three grandchildren.


66, a physician on the staff of the Veterans Administration Hospital here and a specialist in cancer surgery, died May 30 at his home in Washington after a heart attack.

Dr. Berry had been on the staff of the VA hospital here since 1980 and had previously served six years on the staff of a hospital in Willimantic, Conn. From 1957 until 1974, he had a private medical practice in Kansas City, Mo.

A native of Columbia, Mo., he graduated from Northwestern University and George Washington University medical school. He did his residency at George Washington University Hospital and did further study at the Sloan-Kettering Memorial Center in New York City.

In World War II and in the Korean War, Dr. Berry served in the Army Medical Corps.

He was a member of the board of directors of the American Cancer Society and was active in the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.

Survivors include his wife, Dr. Jane Berry of Washington; one son, Peter Berry of New Orleans; one daughter, Paget Berger of New York City; one brother, Ben Berry of Kirkwood, Mo., and one grandchild.


69, a retired Army warrant officer and veteran of two wars who had been resident manager of the Potomac Plaza Apartments in Washington since 1977, died May 30 at George Washington University Hospital after a heart attack and two strokes.

His 33-year Army career included tours in Europe as a medic and infantryman during World War II and as a helicopter pilot in Korea during the war there. His last assignment before retiring from active duty in 1969 was with the adjutant general's office of the Ohio National Guard.

Mr. Folk, who lived in Washington, was a native of West Virginia. Before moving here in 1976, he lived in Ohio and New York.

His first wife, Bernice, died in 1978.

Survivors include his wife, Beatriz, of Washington; four children by his first marriage, Tom Folk of Columbus, Ohio, Linda Bumpus of Youngstown, Ohio, Nancy Burket of Silver Spring, and Carol Thayer of Irvine, Calif.; two stepchildren, Al Ardila of Silver Spring and Maria V. Ardila-Coulson of Reno, Nev.; three brothers, Andrew, of Laurelville, Ohio, Jack, of Las Vegas, and Jim, of Oakland, Md., and five grandchildren.


92, a teacher in D.C. public elementary schools for about 35 years before retiring in the early 1950s, died of pneumonia May 29 at the Washington Hospital Center. She lived in Washington.

She had served on the faculties of Stevens, Mott, Harrison, Bell and Bowen elementary schools.

Mrs. Malloy was born in Washington. She was a 1912 graduate of Armstrong High School and 1915 graduate of the old Miner Normal School. A past member of the 19th Street Baptist Church in Washington, she later belonged to St. George's Episcopal Church.

Her husband, Peter Fulton Malloy, died in 1941. She leaves no immediate survivors.