A 17-year-old Fairmont Heights High School student was wounded yesterday, and a 16-year-old Landover Heights youth was being held as the gunman after a campus scuffle that apparently started over a pair of $95 high-fashion sunglasses.

Dwight Freeland of Hyattsville, a popular member of the school's football team, was in satisfactory condition after surgery at Prince George's Hospital Center, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Last night, Prince George's County police reported that the Landover Hills teen-ager, Derrick Wellington Robinson, had been charged as an adult with assault with intent to murder and carrying a deadly weapon, a handgun.

Sgt. Ginette Krantz, of the Seat Pleasant station investigative branch, said Robinson was brought into the station by his parents and was arrested at 5:30 p.m. Krantz, citing the continuing investigation, would not say if a weapon had been recovered.

Robinson, who is scheduled to appear in court on Monday, was being held on $15,000 bond and was to be transferred last night to the county detention center in Upper Marlboro, Krantz said.

After yesterday's shooting, county police chased two suspects from the school near Cheverly into the District. The two were arrested by D.C. police near the Minnesota Avenue Metro station in Northeast Washington, police said.

Arrest warrants charging Timothy James Jackson Jr., 18, of 5929 East Capitol St. and Glenn Johnson, 17, of 3917 Clay Place NE with one count of assault with intent to murder were obtained by Prince George's police, said Cpl. Bruce Gentile, a police spokesman.

Jackson is a student at Spingarn High School in Northeast Washington, according to D.C. school officials.

Police said that a fourth suspect was being sought in connection with yesterday's shooting. None of the four is believed to have been a Fairmont Heights student, police said.

Freeland, a junior at the school at 1401 Nye St., was shot once in the stomach shortly before noon after he tried to stop a fight between his brother and another teen-ager, according to police and witnesses.

Yesterday's shooting was the second in four days at an area public school. On Tuesday, a 14-year-old girl was shot in the stomach and seriously injured when one of three youths riding motorbikes fired a handgun into a crowd of students gathered outside Seaton Elementary School in Shaw.

At a few minutes before noon yesterday, some junior high students at Fairmont Heights, one carrying a Louis Vuitton bag and wearing E.K. sunglasses wandered onto a rear parking lot of the school, according to three men who said they witnessed the shooting. Freeland's younger brother Andre and a friend were pushing the boys and pulling on the sunglasses, the witnesses said.

Another group of older teen-agers was sitting nearby in a car, the witnesses said, and got out of the car apparently to help the younger boy keep his sunglasses. A fight ensued, and Dwight Freeland stepped in to stop it.

Dorian Marshall, a bystander who said he watched the fight develop, said about 80 students rushed outside from the cafeteria when they heard the fighting. One of the older teen-agers got out of the car, warned Dwight Freeland to stay away, pulled a handgun from the pocket of his sweatshirt and fired one shot at him from 12 to 18 feet, Marshall said.

The gunman then jumped back into the car and the car drove off.

School officials called the county rescue squad and attempted to calm students, some of whom were crying, and escorted them back into the school building to attempt to resume classes. A crisis intervention team was sent to the school to help students, many of whom witnessed the shooting.

Another student was treated at the school later in the afternoon when she fainted, school spokesman Brian J. Porter said.

Clarence McDonald, the Fairmont Heights principal, went to Prince George's Hospital Center with Freeland, who was a starting linebacker last season. Coach Ralph Paden said Freeland is expected to become the team captain in the fall.

Senior Debbie Davis, 16, a classmate of Freeland's, said she was having lunch in the cafeteria when a student ran in shouting that somebody had been shot. Then she said students began rushing outside. "I didn't want to see it," she said.

"He is a real nice, friendly guy," Davis said. "He is friendly with the ladies, he gets along with everybody. I can't believe something like this happened to him. I'm real scared to walk home from school now."

Marshall, who said he was 21 and a graduate of Fairmont, and a friend who asked not to be identified said that many of their friends carry handguns. They need a gun "if you're gonna fight," Marshall said, adding that many who carry guns don't intend to kill. "You just want to scare them so they're not gonna mess with you."