William Russell Johnson, 67, a retired Navy captain and a former special assistant to the chief of the Navy Materiel Command, died of a stroke June 3 at the Bethesda Naval Hospital. He lived in McLean.

Capt. Johnson was born in Long Eddy, N.Y. He graduated from Columbia University and earned a master's degree in physics from the University of California at Berkeley. He also graduated from the Naval War College and the National War College.

He began his career in the Navy in 1937. During World War II, he served in the Atlantic and the Pacific. He later had various tours of land and sea duty including command of Destroyer Squadron 7 in the Atlantic and Cruiser-Destroyer Flotilla 9 in the Pacific.

Capt. Johnson was transferred to the Washington area in 1964 and worked on the staff of the director of Anti-Submarine Warfare Programs in the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations.

He was a staff officer in Vietnam in 1968, then was transferred back to Washington where he became deputy commander of Surface Warfare Programs in the Naval Ordnance Systems Command.

Capt. Johnson was special assistant to the chief of the Naval Materiel Command and executive secretary of the Naval Materiel Command Shipbuilding Council when he retired in 1974.

His military decorations include two Legions of Merit and one Bronze Star.

He was a member of the Naval War College Alumni Association and Disabled American Veterans. He also had been a volunteer paralegal and tax aid with various organizations.

Survivors include his wife, Virginia Johnson of McLean; three sons, Dr. William R. Johnson Jr. of Thousand Oaks, Calif., Dr. David A. Johnson of Redlands, Calif., and Scott L. Johnson of Corvallis, Ore.; two sisters, Elizabeth Rhodes of Long Eddy and Anna Holbert of Sidney, N.Y., and four grandchildren.


72, the founder and president of the Visual Systems Co. Inc., an art and drafting supply firm, died of congestive heart failure June 3 at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Potomac and maintained a home in South Bethany, Del.

Mr. Smyth was born in London. He came to this country in 1917 and settled in Buffalo. He moved to the Washington area in 1924. During World War II, he served in the Navy. He worked for several business and art supply firms before starting his own company in 1959. He was head of the firm until his death.

He was a Mason and had been a member of the Bethesda and Kenwood country clubs. He had also served on the board of the National Art Materials Trade Association.

Survivors include his wife, Frances Smyth of Potomac; three children, H. Granville Smyth and Patricia Campbell, both of Potomac, and Tracy Zirkle of Frederick, Md.; two sisters, Joyce Rogers of Siesta Key, Fla., and Virginia Buckley of Boca Raton, Fla., and 10 grandchildren.


87, retired comptroller of the National Radio Institute in Washington, died of a stroke May 31 at his home in Chincoteague, Va.

Mr. Alexander, a former resident of Silver Spring, was born in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, and raised in Aberdeen, Scotland. During World War I, he served in the Gordon Highlanders, a famed Scottish regiment of the British Army.

He moved to the United States and the Washington area shortly after the war and studied accounting at what is now Benjamin Franklin University.

For most of his working life, Mr. Alexander was employed at National Radio Institute. He retired in 1964 and moved to Chincoteague in 1974.

He was a member of the Clans of Scotland.

Survivors include his wife, Anna Alexander of Chincoteague; two sons, Keith Alexander of Los Angeles and David Alexander of Silver Spring; a daughter, Laura Weekley of Chandler, Ariz.; a sister, Flora Grant of Silver Spring; a brother, Ronald Alexander of Overland Park, Kan., and four grandchildren.


76, an area resident since 1985 who had retired as a secretary with Reynolds Metals in Richmond about 1977, died of cancer June 1 at the Washington Home Hospice. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Whitford was born in Columbia, S.C.

Her husband Robert E. Whitford died in 1982. Survivors include one daughter, Susan Sherman of Washington; one son, David Whitford, and one sister, Elizabeth Barnes, both of Charlotte, N.C., and three granddaughters.


75, a retired shoe salesman with the Lord & Taylor department stores who was active in veterans' organizations, died of cancer June 1 at Holy Cross Hospital. He lived in Wheaton.

Mr. Rappoport was born in Baltimore and attended American University. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific. He moved to the Washington area in 1948 and became the manager of a shoe store.

During the 1950s and 1960s, he was a salesman for Hahn shoes and the Silver Spring Men's Shop. He went to work for Lord & Taylor in the early 1970s and retired in 1977. He also had been a sales representative with the William Kendrick Co., an advertising firm.

Mr. Rappoport was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Jewish War Veterans, where he served on the national executive committee. He was a past master of Harmony Masonic Lodge No. 17.

Survivors include his wife, Miriam Rappoport of Wheaton; two daughters, Sherry S. Chaples of Springfield, and Gail S. Mroczka of Silver Spring; one sister, Frances Galonoy of Sharon, Mass., and one granddaughter.


92, former business manager of the National Geographic Society, died of a heart ailment June 2 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Miss Lohrer, a lifelong resident of Washington, was a graduate of the old Central High School and George Washington University. She worked 45 years for National Geographic before retiring in 1956.

She was a member of the Zonta Society, which is a women's organization, the Burrall Group at Calvary Baptist Church in Washington, and the Washington Club.

There are no immediate survivors.


79, a former chairman of the board of the First Church of Christ, Scientist in Washington who also was active in service and social organizations, died of cancer June 3 at Lynn House, a Christian Science Sanitarium in Alexandria.

Mrs. Stone was born in Portland, Ore., and raised in southern California. She graduated from the University of California at Los Angeles. She taught in the Los Angeles public schools for eight years before she married Philip J. Stone and moved to Washington in 1938.

She had been a Second Reader at the First Church of Christ, Scientist here.

She was a former president of the Twentieth Century Club, a women's philanthropic and educational organization; a former president of the Cleveland Park Garden Club and a member of the D.C. League of Women Voters.

In addition to her husband, of Washington, Mrs. Stone is survived by one sister, Loraine S. Callender of Whittier, Calif.