76, the sculptor of the Warsaw Ghetto Monument and its replica in Jerusalem, died of cardiac arrest June 4 at a hospital in New York City.

Mr. Rapoport, who was born in Warsaw, proposed the monument building to the Polish government. He sculpted the 20-foot-tall stone, originally cut for Hitler's Victory monument in Berlin, that was mounted on top of the ruins of the Warsaw Ghetto. Built with funds donated from around the world, it was unveiled in 1948 for the fifth anniversary of the ghetto uprising.

He later created a replica of the ghetto monument at the Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial in Jerusalem. In the United States, Mr. Rapoport built a liberation monument in Liberty State Park, N.J., 1,000 feet from the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor, to commemorate the role of U.S. soldiers in liberating Nazi concentration camps at the end of World War II.


42, the Italian entrepreneur who in 1979 signed a $100 million agreement to produce Jesus brand jeans in the Soviet Union, died June 4 in Turin. He had AIDS.

The agreement took the manufacture of jeans to the Soviet Union and led to a significant decline in black market trading of the product. Mr. Vitale gained notoriety in Italy for provocative advertising of his product. One poster advertisement, showing a woman wearing a tight pair of Jesus jeans and reading, "Thou shalt have no other jeans but me," was attacked by the Vatican.


90, a real estate broker who used his chemical wizardry to create the fruit drink Orange Julius and helped build a worldwide chain of 700 juice stands, died May 29 in Glendora, Calif. The cause of death was not reported.

He helped found the Orange Julius business in 1926, when Julius Freed approached him seeking a site to sell freshly squeezed orange juice. Mr. Hamlin, himself a customer, found the acidity of the juice upset his stomach, and suggested an additive to correct it. He later bought the business from Freed. Mr. Hamlin retired in 1967 after selling the company to International Industries Inc.


80, who served on the Pennsylvania Supreme Court for 21 years before retiring in 1984 after spending his last year as chief justice, died June 5 at a hospital in Erie, Pa. The cause of death was not reported.

He was a 1928 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and earned his law degree there in 1931. He served in the Navy, practiced law and was a prosecutor before beginning his judicial career in 1952 as a judge of the Erie County Orphans' Court.