The Rev. Herbert N. Travis, 60, who had been pastor of the Salem Baptist Church in Washington since 1956, died of cancer June 5 at Greater Southeast Community Hospital. He lived in Washington.

He was a member of the Baptist Ministers Conference of Washington, the D.C. Baptist Convention and the Progressive National Baptist Convention. He visited Nigeria on behalf of the Baptist Foreign Mission Bureau.

Mr. Travis graduated from St. Paul's College in his native Lawrenceville, Va., and served with the Army during World War II before moving here in 1950. During the next six years, he worked as a special police officer at the National Institutes of Health, attended Howard University and graduated from the Washington Baptist Seminary. He was ordained in 1956.

He joined Salem Baptist Church in 1950 and was elected pastor six years later. During the next 30 years, he worked with church youth organizations, singing groups and women's organizations. The main church sanctuary was renovated, an administration building erected and a parking lot added.

Survivors include his wife of 20 years, the former Lillie E. Lawton of Washington; three sisters, Levella Lawson of Philadelphia, Eleanor Carter of Boydton, Va., and Yvonne Kenner of Lewisville, N.C.; a brother, Ralph T. Johnson of Lawrenceville, and a half-brother, Schuyler Travis of Elizabeth, N.J.


65, a retired executive vice president of the First Federal Savings & Loan Association of Arlington who was a lifelong area resident, died June 7 at his home in Arlington. He had Alzheimer's disease.

He joined the bank in 1945, became its executive vice president in 1964 and retired in 1983. Mr. Loving was a native of Arlington and a graduate of Washington-Lee High School. He attended Benjamin Franklin University. During World War II, he flew bombers for the Army Air Forces until he was shot down over Europe and became a prisoner of war.

He was a member of the Arlington Host Lions Club and the Washington Golf & Country Club.

His wife of 38 years, Hattie S., died in December 1986. Survivors include a son, John D., of Arlington; two daughters, Nancy L. Penta of England and Anne E. Loving of Arlington, and four grandchildren.


50, director of special projects for a Rockville-based computer systems firm who earlier had been an official of the old Energy Research and Development Agency, died of cancer June 9 at his home in Gaithersburg.

Mr. Schwartz was born in Washington and grew up in Cleveland and Chicago. He graduated from Northwestern University, served in the Navy, earned a law degree at Northwestern and returned to the Washington area in the mid-1960s.

He was a lawyer with the Defense Fuel Supply Agency in Alexandria, and then on the staff of the chief counsel of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. In the mid-1970s, he was head of a NASA computer project on the West Coast, and then returned to this area as director of automated data processing management at the Energy Research and Development Office in Germantown. He had been with ETA Systems Inc. of Rockville since the early 1980s.

Survivors include his wife, Marcia Schwartz, two daughters, Tracey Schwartz and Karen Schwartz, and one sister, Gail Gesteir, all of Gaithersburg, and his mother, May Schwartz of Bal Harbour, Fla.


84, a retired D.C. schoolteacher, died of a heart attack June 6 at Fairland Nursing Home in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Johnson was born in Richmond and moved to Washington when she was a child. She graduated from Dunbar High School, Miner Teachers College and Howard University, and earned a master's degree in education at New York University. Her teaching career was spent in the D.C. elementary and junior high schools and she retired in 1966 from Eliot Junior High School after having worked the previous 14 years as a speech therapist.

Mrs. Johnson was a member of the NAACP, the Urban League, the Sodality at St. Augustine's Catholic Church in Washington, Medical Wives and Howard University's Faculty Wives.

Survivors include her husband of 63 years, Dr. George L. Johnson of Silver Spring, and one son, George L. Johnson Jr. of Washington.


58, a retired financial analyst with the Securities and Exchange Commission, died of cardiac arrest June 4 at Alexandria Hospital.

Mr. Bretz joined the SEC in 1957, the year after he moved to Washington, and he retired in 1985 after having worked in the divisions of trading and exchanges, enforcement and market regulation.

A resident of Alexandria, he was born in Wenatchee, Wash. He graduated from the University of Washington. During the Korean War, he served in the Army in Japan and Korea.

Survivors include his wife, Judith Schoenberg Bretz of Alexandria; his mother, Eva Robertson Bretz of Chelan, Wash.; one brother, L.R. Bretz of Billings, Mont.; and a sister, Mrs. T.J. Crawford Jr. of Olympia, Wash.


64, a longtime resident of Alexandria who was a former president of the Alexandria Hospital's junior auxiliary, died June 8 at Alexandria Hospital. She had kidney ailments.

Mrs. Moncure was born in Girard, Ohio, and reared in Indianapolis and Milwaukee. She graduated from Lindenwood College in Missouri and worked briefly as a hostess with Pennsylvania Central Airlines before her marriage in 1946 to Thomas Moncure of Alexandria.

A resident of Alexandria since then, Mrs. Moncure was a member of the John Alexander chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and a member of Christ Episcopal Church in Alexandria.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by three sons, John R. Moncure of Alexandria, Air Force Maj. Thomas B. Moncure of Omaha, and Air Force Capt. Mark D. Moncure, an ROTC instructor at Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, and four grandsons.


68, retired staff assistant with the economic development subcommittee of the House Public Works Committee, died of cancer June 6 at her home in Arlington.

Mrs. Clineburg was born in Cleveland and moved to Washington in 1938. She held a variety of secretarial jobs here, then joined the State Department's Foreign Service in 1946. She was a stenographer in U.S. missions in Germany, Hungary, Sicily and Northern Ireland.

She returned to Cleveland in 1960, and, in 1966, married William A. Clineburg, a tax lawyer and professor at the University of South Carolina. She returned to the Washington area and joined the staff of the Economic Development Subcommittee after her husband died in 1969. She retired in 1983.

Mrs. Clineburg was a member of the Foreign Service Club, the Capitol Historical Society and the Shillelagh American Travel Club.

Survivors include two sisters, Emma D. Everson of Oxon Hill and Mary Kennedy of Saint Simons Island, Ga.


57, a medical technician and former high school lab instructor, died of cancer June 8 at the National Institutes of Health.

Mrs. Lauer, a resident of Silver Spring, was born in Sayerville, N.J. She graduated from Douglas College at Rutgers University.

She moved to the Washington area in 1965 and worked for about four years in the mid-1970s as a biology lab instructor at Good Counsel High School in Wheaton.

She earned an associate degree in medical technology at Montgomery College in 1977 and had worked for about the last five years as a medical technician in the Bethesda office of Dr. Roland Imperial. She was a member of the American Society of Clinical Pathologists and the American Society for Medical Technology.

Survivors include her husband, Robert D. Lauer of Silver Spring; three sons, David Lauer of Denver, Pa., Dwight Lauer of Fernandina Beach, Fla., and Douglas Lauer of Gaithersburg; her parents, Adolph and Cecelia Mark of New Brunswick, N.J., and three grandchildren.