One man was shot to death and another stabbed and critically injured yesterday afternoon in a struggle at 12th and T streets NW, capping 24 hours of violence in the District during which five other persons were shot, two fatally.

Last night, police arrested 19-year-old Antonio Ford, the T Street stabbing victim, and charged him with second-degree murder. Ford, of 203 Morgan St. NW, was in stable condition at Howard University Hospital last night, police said.

Police said Ford was stabbed about 1 p.m. during an argument with a man later identified as Waverly Alvin Robertson, 44, of 3119 Seventh St. NE.

Ford reportedly yelled out to a friend to shoot Robertson after he was stabbed, and Ford's friend, who has not been identified, did shoot Robertson, police said. Robertson was pronounced dead at the Howard hospital a short time later.

Ida Mae Reid was sitting at a second-story window in the Christian Action Center at 1201 T St. NW, which distributes food and clothing to needy families, when she heard the shots yesterday afternoon.

"One pulled out a knife and stabbed one, then a friend of his pulled out a gun and started shooting people," Reid said. "When it started he was up the street with a group of fellows, then he staggered over here and he fell onto the clothes that were on display in our yard."

The spate of shootings began about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday in Southeast, when a man fired six shots at a pregnant woman, fatally wounding her and her near-term fetus, seriously injuring a 3-year-old boy and grazing a bystander.

Police declined to identify the woman pending positive identification by relatives. They said that she, the 3-year-old boy and a 27-year-old Southeast woman were standing together in the entrance of 2840 Robinson Place SE when a gunman opened fire. No arrests have been made.

Last night 3-year-old Marquis Shaw of 1626 R St. SE, who was wounded in the Robinson Place shooting Tuesday, was listed in serious condition at Children's Hospital.

The boy's grandmother, Violet Hill, said, "My son-in-law was in the building with me. When I heard the shots he looked out the window and said, 'Oh, my God.' "

Later Tuesday in Northeast, a teen-age boy and a 26-year-old woman were shot, and the woman later died. Police that night arrested two Northeast juveniles and charged them with murder in what apparently was the result of a fight over a pair of $84 designer sunglasses.

An apparent bystander, Jacqueline McKay, 26, of 304 50th St. NE, was pronounced dead at 1:45 a.m. yesterday of a gunshot wound to the abdomen.