J. Robert Sherwood, 83, who in 1975 retired as board chairman of the holding company of what was then suburban Maryland's largest bank, Suburban Trust Co., died June 10 at Holy Cross Hospital after a stroke and heart attack. He lived in Chevy Chase.
The bank's chief executive officer since 1957, Mr. Sherwood directed the bank during its period of greatest expansion. At the time he stepped down, Suburban had increased its assets to nearly $900 million and grown to 54 branches in Baltimore and Annapolis and in Charles, Anne Arundel, Prince George's and Montgomery counties. It is now part of the Sovran banking concern.
Mr. Sherwood began his banking career in 1922 as a messenger-clerk with Prince George's Bank of Hyattsville, a predecessor of Suburban Trust. He was president of Suburban Trust for 17 years before becoming board chairman of the holding company in 1974. He had risen through the ranks of teller, assistant treasurer and trust officer, branch manager, treasurer and vice president.
Mr. Sherwood was born in Falls Church and grew up in Prince George's County. He was a graduate of the old Business High School and received a law degree from Southeastern University in 1937.
He was a past officer of the American Bankers Association for the State of Maryland and a past president of the Prince George's and Montgomery counties bankers associations. He served on the Maryland State Banking Board in the mid-1960s. He was a member of the District, Maryland and Prince George's bar associations.
Mr. Sherwood had served on the advisory board of the Boy Scouts of America's National Capital Area Council and was a charter member of Heroes Inc. of Washington. He had been a director of Prince George's General Hospital and president of the Prince George's County Community Chest. He was a life member of the Izaak Walton League. Mr. Sherwood was a past president of the Young Men's Democratic Club and was a Civil Defense director in Prince George's during World War II. He was a member of the Greater Washington Board of Trade, the Silver Spring Board of Trade and the Prince George's County Chamber of Commerce. He was a member of the University of Maryland's Terrapin Club, the Columbia Country Club and the Burning Tree Club. He was past master of West Gate Masonic Lodge and a member of the Order of the Eastern Star.
His wife, the former Ann Carroll Spates, died in 1984. Survivors include three sons, J. Robert Jr., of Rockville, B. Carroll, of Silver Spring, and A. Dennis, of Columbia; two daughters, M. Diane Bevivino of Arlington and Sallie Ann Sherwood of Pompano Beach, Fla., and nine grandchildren.
LEO SULLIVAN, 66, former amusements editor of The Washington Post and public relations director of the Kennedy Center, died of cancer June 10 at George Washington University Hospital.
A native of Salina, Kan., Mr. Sullivan attended Kansas Wesleyan College and Marquette University, where he studied speech and drama. He continued those studies at Catholic University, where he received a master's degree in 1948.
He served in the Navy during World War II, and in 1948 he joined the staff of the Washington Times-Herald as a theater and film critic. When The Post purchased the Times-Herald in 1954, Mr. Sullivan moved to The Post and became editor of its amusement pages, responsible for coverage of theater, films, music and dance.
He became press representative for the Washington Theatre Club in 1968 and shortly thereafter joined the staff at the Kennedy Center. There he handled media relations for its 1971 opening and for such special events as the Kennedy Center Honors and the American College Theater Festival, and he was editor of the monthly Stagebill.
Two years ago, Mr. Sullivan founded a public relations firm to handle other live attractions in this area. A Georgetown resident for 30 years, Mr. Sullivan was an adviser to the Georgetown Theater Workshop and was a judge for many years in the area's annual One-Act Play Tournament. He was a founding member of the board of the Helen Hayes Awards and of the New Playwrights' Theater Richard L. Coe Award, and he had been honored by the Directors Guild of America for his editing of The Post's amusement pages.
Survivors include one brother, George L. Sullivan of Laguna Miguel, Calif., and one sister, Mary Jo Pfannenstiel of Salina.
LEO D. HOCHSTETTER, 76, former vice president and lobbyist for the Motion Picture Association here, died of a bone marrow disorder June 10 at his home in Bethesda.
Mr. Hochstetter joined the association in 1952 and worked as a trouble-shooter for major Hollywood film studios in the Far East, the Middle East and Europe. He returned to the Washington area in 1972 as vice president and lobbyist. In 1975, he left the association and became vice president of the Washington office of Interpublic Group of Companies, a holding company of worldwide advertising agencies. He retired in 1977 and had been a consultant since then.
A native of Chicago, Mr. Hochstetter grew up in Dayton, Ohio, and Pittsburgh. He graduated from the University of Chicago and the George Washington University law school, and studied at the London School of Economics. During the 1930s, he was a reporter with the old Washington Times-Herald. He was a news editor with the Office of War Information in Turkey and Europe during World War II. He was in an Army Air Forces plane that was shot down over Germany and was awarded a Purple Heart.
Mr. Hochstetter was a foreign correspondent in the Middle East for CBS and the North American Newspaper Alliance after the war, then worked as an information officer for the Marshall Plan in Europe and for foreign assistance programs in what was then French Indo-China.
Survivors include his wive, Genevieve Richards Hochstetter of Bethesda; two sons, Leo David Hochstetter Jr. of Hong Kong and Frederick Richards Hochstetter of Bethesda; one daughter, Karen Richards Hochstetter of Bethesda; one sister, Rose Plotkin of New York City, and two grandchildren.
JOSEPH P. L'ABBE, 66, a retired area banker and former car rental employe who was an area resident for 41 years before moving to Largo, Fla., where he had lived since 1985, died of leukemia June 7 at a hospital in Pinellas Park, Fla.
Mr. L'Abbe attended Bates College in his native Maine and served with the Army in Europe during World War II. After moving here, he was a Treasury Department bank examiner before becoming a teller at the old Citizens National Bank in Alexandria in 1947. He later was a teller with the old Union Trust Bank in Washington till the mid-1950s, when he went to New York.
He worked in New York banks until returning here and becoming executive vice president of the Security Savings and Loan in Alexandria, where he worked from about 1959 to 1962. In the mid-1960s, he was executive vice president of Colonial National Bank in Alexandria. From the mid-1960s to mid-1970s, he was an office manager with Budget car rental in Arlington. He then spent 10 years as a teller with the Burke & Herbert bank in Alexandria before retiring in 1985.
Survivors include his wife, the former Carol Knight, of Largo, Fla.; a son, Darius Mark L'Abbe of Manassas; three daughters, Noel Schacht of Annandale and Denise Mitchell and Michelle Parks, both of St. Petersburg, Fla.; two brothers, Elmer L., of North Attleborough, Mass., and D.M. L'Abbe of Portland, Maine, and 10 grandchildren.