Donald W. Roberson, 65, a member of the Maryland House of Delegates in the 1960s who was active in the Prince George's County Democratic Party, died of lung cancer June 9 at his home in Culpeper, Va.

Mr. Roberson, a retired sheet-metal worker, had also served on the Prince George's County Personnel Board and the County Liquor Commission, helped organize the labor vote in the county, served as a Democratic precinct chairman in Hyattsville and managed congressional campaigns.

He was appointed to fill a vacant seat in the House of Delegates in 1964, and he served until 1966. In 1962 he helped organize the Independent Democratic slate of candidates that ran against the established Democratic organization in the county, but was unsuccessful in a bid for a seat on the County Commission that year.

A native of Rutherfordton, N.C., Mr. Roberson graduated from Grace Business College in Asheville. He served in the Navy in the Pacific from 1938 until 1945 and was assigned aboard the cruiser Raleigh, which suffered extensive damage and loss of life in the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941.

While serving in the Navy he married Sheila Litchfield-Green of New Zealand, and they moved to Prince George's after the war. Their marriage ended in divorce.

Mr. Roberson was a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout leader, and a PTA president in the University Park area.

He retired as a sheet-metal worker about 3 1/2 years ago and was a member of Sheet Metal Workers International Local 102. He also had been a securities salesman and an insurance agent.

Mr. Roberson moved to Culpeper after his retirement.

Survivors include his wife, Genell Roberson of Culpeper; two daughters from his first marriage, Donna Roberson of Arlington and Barbara Thompson of Calverton; three sons from his first marriage, David, of Calverton, Donald Jr., of Columbia and Christopher, of Laurel; three brothers, Thomas Roberson of Culpeper, Clyde Roberson of Bowie and Ralph Roberson of Crownsville, Md.; and eight grandchildren.


78, a former librarian and bookseller and a civic activist in the Mount Pleasant area of Washington, died of cancer June 1 at Arlington Hospital.

Mrs. Amann-Jones, a third generation Washingtonian, was a graduate of the old Central High School and studied architecture at the University of Southern California. She was map librarian at the Federal Housing Administration from 1935 to 1948, then sold books at Brentano's and Kramer Book Stores in Washington and operated Jane's Library Service until she retired around 1970. She was a former president of the Washington chapter of the Special Libraries Association.

Mrs. Amann-Jones was a founding member of Mount Pleasant Neighbors Inc. and its first president, serving from 1956 to 1961.

She was a secretary of the mayor's citizens-police advisory council in the 1960s and was secretary of the 10th Precinct and later 4th District police advisory councils from 1965 to 1985.

She did volunteer work with the Urban Service Corps and with the Widening Horizons Program of the D.C. public schools, where she organized programs and tutoring for pupils. Mrs. Amann-Jones had also served on D.C. Recreation Department advisory councils and had been a volunteer storyteller at Recreation Department locations throughout the city.

She was a former president of the Children's Theater of Washington, an organization that provided theater experience for Washington youth, and she had been active in the Consumer Action Group of the Americans for Democratic Action.

She lived in Washington until moving to McLean two years ago.

Her husband, Edmond Jones, died in the mid-1950s. Survivors include two daughters, Jane Corey of Centreville, Md., and Jacque-Lynne Schulman of McLean; five grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.

STANLEY L. ENGER, 66, retired head of the collections maintenance division at the Library of Congress, died of cancer June 9 at his home in Rockville.

Mr. Enger joined the library staff in 1958 as an editorial assistant and later headed the preparations unit. He retired in 1981.

He was born in Morris, Ill. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces in Africa, the Middle East and Europe. He was awarded four Air Medals and a Distinguished Flying Cross.

He was an insurance agent with the Kemper Group in Illinois after the war, and in 1957 he came to Washington as legislative assistant to Rep. Charles Augustus Boyle (D-Ill.).

His wife, Jane Carey Enger, died in 1980. Survivors include two daughters, Mary Ann Wyckoff of Herndon and Cynthia Kari Enger of Arlington; one son, Scott Douglas Enger of Rockville; his mother, Carrie Enger of Morris; three brothers, Charles Enger of Morris, and Maurice and Robert Enger, both of Van Nuys, Calif.; three sisters, Alta Ferguson of Morris, Eloise Friedberg of Mount Prospect, Ill., and Maxine Palowski of North Ridge, Calif., and one granddaughter.

RICHARD J. FELBER, 80, a retired inspector with the D.C. police department and a former acting chief of detectives, died of pneumonia June 11 at Washington Adventist Hospital. He lived in Takoma Park.

Mr. Felber was born in Hartford, Conn. He served in the Marine Corps during the early 1920s. He moved to the Washington area in about 1927 and worked for the Navy Department.

He joined the police department in 1930 and became a homicide detective. He was named head of the homicide squad in the early 1950s and was promoted to inspector in 1957. He was the acting chief of detectives when he retired in 1964. He later worked at the old Lansburgh Department Store, where he was chief of security.

Mr. Felber was a Mason and a member of the Elks.

Survivors include his wife, Florence, of Takoma Park.

PEGGY J. DOUGHERTY, 51, who was a senior secretary in the Division of Banking Supervision and Regulations in the Federal Reserve System's Board of Governors, died of cancer June 10 at her home in Chevy Chase.

Mrs. Dougherty, who first went to work for the Federal Reserve System in Richmond in 1955, moved to the Washington area in 1963. She was born in Rocky Mount, N.C., and grew up in Richmond.

She was a member of the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Washington, where she was a member of the Stella Maris Sodality and at one time taught in the parish schools.

She is survived by her husband, Joseph E. Dougherty, and a daughter, Shannon E. Dougherty, both of Chevy Chase; her mother, Joanna R. Hicks of Richmond; and a brother, William R. Hicks Jr. of Fairfax.

JAMES PATRICK WHITE, 59, a Washington native who was a retired Navy aviation machinist's mate and a former employe of the General Services Administration, died of cancer June 9 at Bethesda Naval Hospital. He lived in Silver Spring.

Mr. White joined the Navy in 1945. He served aboard the carrier Oriskany in Korean waters during the Korean War. He also held other seagoing assignments as well as serving at naval air installations in this country. After retiring from active duty in 1965, he settled in this area and did maintenance work with GSA's National Capital Mall field office until retiring a second time in 1983.

He was a member of St. Andrew's Catholic Church in Silver Spring, the Fleet Reserve Association and the Maryland Education Foundation.

Survivors include his wife of 36 years, the former Alma Zaccarin of Silver Spring; eight brothers, Theodore F., of Riverdale, Michael P. and John J., both of Vienna, Francis S., of Adelphi, Bernard A., of Landover Hills, Thomas X., of Greenbelt, and William M. and Paul A., both of Silver Spring; seven sisters, Ellen Handley of Washington, Mary Lockman of Rogers Heights, Md., Dorothy White of Landover Hills, Catherine West of Temple Hills, Teresa Dobson of Vienna, Marie Helm of Arlington, and Sara Ruschaupt of Great Falls.

BOYD N. LARSEN, 79, a former budget and financial officer with the Central Intelligence Agency and other federal agencies, died of a heart ailment June 9 at Arlington Hospital.

Mr. Larsen worked for the CIA from 1955 until he retired in 1968. He began his government career in 1935 as a finance and supply officer at Yellowstone National Park. Later he was a finance officer in Wyoming for the old Grazing Service, which later became the Bureau of Land Management.

From 1942 to 1944, Mr. Larsen was a finance officer for the Heart Mountain Japanese Relocation Center in Wyoming, then moved to Washington as a civilian financial officer for the Department of the Army. Between 1949 and 1955, he served in Tokyo and Okinawa as an Army financial officer.

An Arlington resident, Mr. Larsen was born in Ogden, Utah.

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Verda McLean Larsen of Arlington; two sons, Joel M. Larsen of Hightstown, N.J., and Gary Y. Larsen of Omaha; three daughters, Nancy L. Turner of Amarillo, Tex., Lois L. Walker of Alexandria and Carol L. Bringham of Mission Viejo, Calif.; 14 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.

NELDA RYAN GRAY, 52, an Arlington resident and native of Alabama who had accompanied her husband to his Air Force posts throughout this country and overseas, died June 10 at the Bethesda Naval Hospital. She had cancer.

Mrs. Gray had made her home in the Washington area since 1986. Before that, she had lived here from 1961 to 1966 and from 1974 to 1976. She also had lived in Great Britain, West Germany and Belgium.

She had been a member of the Air Force Wives Club.

Survivors include her husband, retired Maj. Gen. David L. Gray of Arlington; two sons, Air Force Capt. David Scott Gray of Arlington and Air Force Lt. Steven Mark Gray of Bergstrom Air Force Base in Texas; her mother, Ethel Spencer Ryan of Selma, Ala.; a brother, Ferrell S. Ryan of Atlanta, and a grandchild.

NATHAN N. GORDON, 67, retired controller of the Washington Wholesale Liquor Co. Inc., died of a pulmonary embolism June 6 while vacationing aboard the cruise ship Noordam near Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska.

Mr. Gordon, a Wheaton resident, was born in New York City and graduated from Bryant College in Rhode Island. He was a navigator-bombardier with the Army Air Forces in Europe during World War II and was an auditor in New York before moving to the Washington area in 1960.

He had been controller with Washington Wholesale Liquor for about eight years before he retired in 1981. Before that, he had been controller with Commodity Corp. of America and Pascal Inc., another wholesale liquor distributor.

Mr. Gordon was a member of the Indian Spring Country Club and the Progress Club.

His marriage to Harriet Gordon ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Doris Gordon, and two children by his second marriage, Monte Gordon and Julie Gordon, all of Wheaton; two sons by his first marriage, Jeffrey Klein of Pikesville, Md., and Michael Klein of Baltimore, and eight grandchildren. A son by his first marriage, Philip Klein, died in 1985.