Edward H. Selonick, 66, a former president and board chairman of the Hecht Co. here who had lived in the Washington area from 1967 to 1972, died of cancer June 12 at a hospital in Cincinnati. He lived in Cincinnati.

He was president of Hecht's from 1967 to 1970, then served as board chairman and chief executive officer, until resigning in 1972. The Hecht Co. was owned by the May Department stores.

During Mr. Selonick's years in this area, he had served on the board of directors of the Metropolitan Washington Board of Trade, on the advisory board of the National Capital Area Council of Boy Scouts of America, and on the business advisory board of American University. He also had done work for the Red Cross, the National Conference of Christians and Jews, and the Jewish Welfare Foundation.

After leaving Washington, he became president of Shillito's, a Cincinnati department store chain owned by Federated Department Stores. He retired as vice chairman of Shillito's in 1984, then spent the next two years as a visiting marketing professor at Miami University of Ohio.

Mr. Selonick was a native of New York City and a 1941 graduate of the University of Virginia. He served in the Army Air Forces in World War II. He began working for Federated in the 1940s, and became its vice president while working in Cincinnati and Houston before moving here.

Survivors include his wife Mildred Joseph Selonick and a daughter, Carol J. Solinger, both of Cincinnati; a son, Dr. Stuart E., of Annapolis; and three grandchildren.

EDWARD EARLE MITCHELL,

73, a retired director of contract compliance with the Department of Labor who had been an Army lieutenant colonel, died of a stroke June 12 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. He lived in Silver Spring.

Col. Mitchell was born in Greensboro, N.C. He attended Fisk and Wilberforce universities and the University of Cincinnati. He joined the Army in 1941. He served in Europe during World War II and served in the Korean War. He was transferred to the Washington area in 1958 and joined the Army General Staff. He retired from active duty in 1961.

His military decorations include a Silver Star, two Bronze Stars and a Purple Heart.

In 1961, he became comptroller in the Office of the Secretary of the Department of Defense. Between 1967 and 1969, he was a manager of planning, programming and budgeting for both Stanford Research Institute and CACI Inc., two consulting firms in Arlington.

In 1969, Col. Mitchell was appointed deputy assistant administrator with the General Services Administration. In an announcement issued at the time, GSA said it believed Col. Mitchell was the first black to hold such a high-ranking position in the agency. Later, he became GSA's director of civil rights. He transferred to the Labor Department during the 1970s and retired in 1980.

He moved to Fort Pierce, Fla., in 1982 and returned to the Washington area in February of this year.

Col. Mitchell was a member of the Reston Philosophers and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity.

Survivors include his wife, Alice Bettis Mitchell of Silver Spring; one daughter, Janice Mitchell Woodward of Washington; two brothers, Walter R. Mitchell and George H. Mitchell, both of Cincinnati; one sister, Kathleen Talbot of Fedhaven, Fla.; three grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.

EDWIN H. HOFFMAN,

68, a retired gunsmith and specialist in military history who had been a lieutenant colonel in the Army reserves, died June 11 of a stroke at the Iliff Nursing Home in Dunn Loring, Va.

Col. Hoffman was born in Bedford, Va. He joined the National Guard in 1916 and served on the Mexican border. During World War I, he served in the Navy in Europe. He then served in the merchant marine before moving to the Washington area in 1927 and joining the Virginia Electric Power Co.

He started a gunsmith business in Washington in 1936. He returned to active Army duty during World War II and served in Europe. He retired from the reserves in 1968.

After World War II, Col. Hoffman continued his career as a gunsmith. He moved to Woodstock, Va., in 1953 and opened a military history museum. He retired in 1972 and returned to this area in 1978.

Col. Hoffman had made a collection of artillery scale models ranging from ancient and medieval weapons to a model of the first Confederate Williams machine gun.

He was a member of the American Legion and the Shenandoah Valley Civil War Roundtable, and was a fellow of the Company of Military Historians. He also was active with the New Market Battlefield Museum.

His wife, Ruth E. Clark Hoffman, died in 1975. Survivors include three daughters, Jean Fullemann of Mount Vernon, Ohio, Ann Koehler of Martha's Vineyard, Mass., and Joyce Hoffman of Marshall, Va.; four grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

PETER JOHN HUGHES,

77, a retired assistant manager of Dulles International Airport who had been a captain in the Navy reserves, died of a heart ailment June 11 at the National Hospital for Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation in Arlington. He lived in Falls Church.

Mr. Hughes was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. He graduated from Fordham University, joining the Navy in 1936 and became a pilot. During World War II, he served in the Pacific, and retired from the reserves in 1958.

He was assistant manager of an airport in Detroit and worked for the old Civil Aeronautics Administration in New York City in the late 1940s. He transferred to the Washington area in 1952, and became a civilian employe of the Air Force.

Mr. Hughes was comptroller in the budget office of the Defense Department before he was named assistant manager of Dulles in 1962. He retired in 1971.

He was a member of St. Anthony's Catholic Church in Falls Church.

Survivors include his wife Frances Hughes and one son, Peter J. Hughes Jr., both of Falls Church; one brother, William Hughes of Hollywood, Fla.; and one sister, Gretta Hughes of Tulsa.

HAZEL STONE MORGAN,

92, an area resident since 1974, who was a widow of a retired Navy commodore, died of a heart ailment June 12 at Arlington Hospital. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Morgan was born in Pine Grove, W.Va. She graduated from Fairmont State College in West Virginia. During World War II, she was a Gray Lady with the Red Cross.

She had accompanied her husband, Gail Morgan, who died in 1973, on a number of Navy assignments. Survivors include one son, James G. Morgan of Lewisburg, W.Va.; one sister, Mrs. J. Bivens of Hartford, Conn.; four grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

ABRAHAM TUNICK,

79, a Washington attorney in private practice since 1945 who specialized in laws dealing with the wine and liquor industry, died June 12 at George Washington University Hospital. He had leukemia.

His clients had included the Wine and Spirits Wholesalers of America.

Mr. Tunick, who lived in Washington, was born in Port Chester, N.Y. He graduated from St. John's University in New York, where he also earned a law degree. He had been a judge in local courts and had served as corporation counsel of Port Chester, before moving to the Washington area in 1943 and becoming an attorney with the old Office of Price Administration.

He was a member and had served on the board of the Woodmont Country Club in Rockville. He was a member of Tifereth Israel Congregation in Washington and had been a member of the Amity Club.

His first wife, Gertrude Tunick, died in 1971. Survivors include his wife, Sara Tunick of Washington; two children by his first marriage, Marjorie Goldstein of Teaneck, N.J., and Mark Tunick of Bowie; three stepchildren, Charlotte Flax of Rockville, Dr. Bennett Frankel of Prince Frederick, Md., and Roger Frankel of Bethesda; two sisters, Sara Kabat of Ocean City, N.J., and Lillian Tunick of Haverstraw, N.Y.; and 16 grandchildren.

STEFANIA ENIS D'AMBROSIO,

86, a longtime Washington area resident and a member of St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Washington, died June 13 at Capitol Hill Hospital after a stroke.

Mrs. D'Ambrosio, who lived in Washington, was born in Meduno, Italy. She moved to this country in the early 1920s and settled in the Washington area.

Her husband, Ettore E. D'Ambrosio, died in 1976. Survivors include one daughter, Mary Bertamini of Annandale; five sons, Gino D'Ambrosio of Washington, Anthony D'Ambrosio of Maddox, Md., Albert D'Ambrosio of Glen Burnie, Md., Joseph D'Ambrosio of Potomac, and Mario D'Ambrosio of Bethesda; two sisters, Anna D'Ambrosio, and Ida Pavan, both of Meduno; 10 grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

ELLISON V. PEPPERS SR.,

77, a retired research biochemist with the National Cancer Institute, died of cardiac arrest June 11 at the Reston Hospital Center. He lived in Silver Spring.

Mr. Peppers was born in Avinger, Tex. He graduated from Wiley College in Texas. He moved to the Washington area in 1942 and joined the Agriculture Department. During the late 1940s, he transferred to the National Institutes of Health, where he retired in 1975.

He was a past president of the Washington Interalumni Council of the United Negro College Fund. He was a member and had served on the board of Brooklyn Union Baptist Church in Washington, and was a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity.

His wife, Helene T. Peppers, died in 1986. Survivors include one daughter, Dr. Sylvia Mundy of Reston; one son, Ellison V. Peppers Jr. of Washington; one brother, Raymond Peppers of San Diego; and three grandchildren.