Severin Peter Langhoff Jr., 77, a consultant to states and foreign nations on the establishment and operation of government-sponsored lotteries, died of leukemia June 15 at Suburban Hospital.

Dr. Langhoff also advised race tracks on the operation of automated wagering equipment, such as machines to monitor the level of betting, adjust odds and issue betting tickets. In 1975 he founded his own company, Game Plans International, for consulting on the structuring of lottery games.

A native of Peoria, Ill., he graduated from the University of Illinois where he also earned a doctorate in economics.

He came to Washington in the 1930s and worked as an economist for the Rural Electrification Administration and later the Federal Works Agency. He was an Army statistician during World War II, then worked for the Veterans Administration.

In 1945, Dr. Langhoff moved to New York and joined the advertising firm of Young & Rubicam as director of research. He left as senior vice president in 1966 and returned to the Washington area where he became president of the American Research Bureau, the firm now known as Arbitron that determines ratings for local radio and television programs.

He left there in 1971 and became a consultant to Control Data Inc.'s automated wagering division.

Dr. Langhoff was an editor and contributor to a 1965 book, "Models, Measurement and Marketing." He lived in Bethesda and New York.

His marriage to Charlotte Langhoff ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Barbara Brumbaugh Langhoff of Bethesda; one son by his first marriage, Peter Langhoff of Oakland, Calif.; two sons by his second marriage, Christopher Severin Langhoff and Andrew Peterson Langhoff, both of New York City; and one sister, Margaret Jacobs of Peoria, Ill.

SCHUYLER NEILSON PYNE, 83, a retired Navy rear admiral who spent much of his career as a naval architect and marine engineer with the Bureau of Ships, died June 13 at Anne Arundel General Hospital after a stroke. He had lived in Annapolis since 1966.

Adm. Pyne was a native of Elizabeth, N.J. He was a 1925 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis and earned a master's degree in naval architecture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. During World War II, he served with the Bureau of Ships. He worked on the design and construction of landing craft and auxiliary vessels and ended the war as head of a repair base on Guam.

He later served as deputy director of the David Taylor Model Boat Basin at Carderock and as staff chief and engineer officer with an aid mission to Turkey. From 1954 to 1956, he commanded the naval shipyard at Pearl Harbor, then spent two years as an assistant chief of the Bureau of Ships. His last assignment before retiring from active duty in 1961 was as head of the New York Naval Shipyard in Brooklyn.

He was twice awarded the Legion of Merit.

Adm. Pyne was a deputy director general of the English-Speaking Union for the United States from 1961 to 1962. He then spent four years with EBASCO Services, a New York consulting organization.

He was a member of St. Anne's Catholic Church in Annapolis, the Military Order of the World Wars and the Naval Academy Alumni Association.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Jane Louise, of Annapolis; one son, retired Marine Corps Lt. Col. Robert Schuyler Pyne of Pensacola, Fla.; two daughters, Sally Pyne Kennedy of Ann Arbor, Mich., and Ellen Pyne Freit of Arnold, Md., and eight grandchildren.

DANIEL SCOTT HARRELSON, 23, a former hairdresser at Garfinckel's department store in downtown Washington, died June 14 at the Northern Virginia Hospice. He had acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS).

Mr. Harrelson was born in Fairfax and raised in Arlington. He was a 1982 graduate of Washington-Lee High School, where he was a member of the swimming team.

He began his career as a hairdresser at Just Hair in Arlington. He later worked for the Bloomingdale's department store at White Flint. He joined Garfinckel's in 1985 and left last year for reasons of health.

A former resident of Washington, Mr. Harrelson lived with his family in Fairfax at the time of his death.

Survivors include his mother, Marylou Astbury, his father, C.W. Harrelson, two brothers, Curtis and Wayne Harrelson, and two sisters, Nancy Proctor and Stephanie Lynn Harrelson, all of Fairfax.

WAYNE R. GALERY, 33, a Washington Post electrician who died of an accidental self-inflicted gunshot wound June 13, was a native Washingtonian and a graduate of McKinley High School.

Police said Mr. Galery shot himself once in the chest while trying to fix the shooting mechanism of a .38-caliber semiautomatic pistol which he had carried to work at The Post's Southeast plant. He was pronounced dead at D.C. General Hospital about 50 minutes after the shooting.

Mr. Galery, who lived in Landover, was a graduate of the apprentice program of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and had worked at The Post's Southeast plant for the last six years.

Survivors include his wife, Robin Yvette Galery, and one son, Wayne Rodney Galery Jr., both of Landover; his father and stepmother, Willard O. and Audrell Galery of Washington; his mother, Barbara Taylor of Washington; three brothers, Willard O. Galery Jr. of Landover, Artice T. Galery of Chicago and Andre F. Galery of Washington; four sisters, Deborah T. Sallie, Tanya C. Galery, Chalandra A. Galery and Yuliis M. Galery, all of Washington.

BESSIE H. GRUVER, 92, a lifelong resident of the Washington area who was a member of Bethesda United Methodist Church and its choir, died June 14 at her home in Washington after a heart attack.

Mrs. Gruver was a native of Washington. She was a graduate of the old Central High School and the old Wilson Teachers College. She was an elementary school teacher in the D.C. public schools from 1918 to 1925.

Her husband of 67 years, Dorie C. Gruver, died May 27, 1987. Survivors include two sons, Dr. Clifton R. Gruver of Rockville and Dr. Robert H. Gruver of Arlington; six grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.

JEWEL BAKER, 70, a retired periodical subscription list clerk at the Review and Herald Publishing Association and a member of the Sligo Seventh-day Adventist Church, died at the Washington Adventist Hospital June 10 after a cerebral hemorrhage.

Mrs. Baker, a resident of Takoma Park, was born in Morgantown, W.Va. She moved to the Washington area in 1963. She worked for Review and Herald Publishing from the time she moved here until 1983.

Her husband, Willard F. Baker, died in 1966.

Survivors include one son, David Willard (Skip) Baker of Williamsburg, Va.; three sisters, Georgia Willard of Silver Spring, Dorothy Sych of Morgantown and Esther Willard of Takoma Park, and one granddaughter.

FRANCES EVELYN PATON POWELL, 91, a former Red Cross employe who was active in social and political groups, died of congestive heart failure June 12 at the Wisconsin Avenue Nursing Home. She lived in Washington.

She was a member of the Society of Colonial Dames, the Sulgrave Club and the Chevy Chase Club. She also had been active in various Republican Party organizations.

Mrs. Powell, who had lived in the Washington area since 1960, was born to American parents in Berlin. She also resided in Washington in the early 1930s when she was a secretary with the Red Cross.

She was the widow of retired Navy Rear Adm. Paulus P. Powell, whom she married in the mid-1930s and who died in 1963. She had accompanied him to posts in Europe.

She leaves no immediate survivors.