Richard C. Drayne, 49, who was press secretary for Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) for 10 years and worked in three Kennedy family presidential campaigns, died of cancer yesterday at his home in Washington.

Mr. Drayne was Kennedy's Senate and campaign press secretary from 1965 to 1975 and was a traveling press secretary in the 1968 presidential campaign of Sen. Robert F. Kennedy (D-N.Y.). He later was campaign press secretary for R. Sargent Shriver, the Kennedys' brother-in-law, who ran for the 1976 Democratic presidential nomination.

After three years as a consultant in public affairs and telecommunications policy, Mr. Drayne rejoined Sen. Edward Kennedy as a senior adviser in Kennedy's bid for the 1980 Democratic presidential nomination. Since then he had been with the CBS-TV Washington bureau as public affairs counsel.

In his public service, Mr. Drayne was respected for his acute political sense, unquestioned integrity and an irrepressible sense of humor. Reporters considered him one of the ablest congressional and political press secretaries on the scene, with a thorough understanding of the sometimes conflicting needs of the media and his political employer.

Even in the high-pressure arena of presidential politics and Kennedy's demanding, high visibility Senate operations, Mr. Drayne appeared to reconcile these demands with remarkable ease. A major reason was that he was known to be a top policy and strategy adviser who had the confidence of the Kennedys and who thus could act as a reliable guide.

As a result, he was liked and respected by both politicians and journalists and was a close friend of many.

"He set the standard for us," said Melody J. Miller, a longtime Kennedy press aide. "Whenever I'm grappling with a difficult problem I ask myself, 'How would Dick handle it?' "

"It's a special tragedy when a man as fine as Dick Drayne dies so young," Kennedy said in a statement yesterday. "No one gave greater loyalty or wiser advice to the Kennedy family. He taught all of us to take issues seriously but never to take ourselves seriously. They couldn't have had the Gridiron dinner without him."

This last reference was to Mr. Drayne's avocation as a political gag writer. Although a very private person, he was in constant demand to supply jokes for Democratic politicians at such events as the annual journalists' Gridiron dinner.

"He had an infallible sense of humor," said Frank Mankiewicz, a Washington public relations consultant who had been press secretary for Robert F. Kennedy, and who often collaborated with Mr. Drayne as a joke writer. "Knowing Dick Drayne sort of set Will Rogers' line on its head -- 'I never met a man who didn't like Dick Drayne.' "

Richard Charles Drayne was born Oct. 22, 1937, in Pittsburgh. He attended Georgetown University for a year and Pennsylvania State University for three years.

At Penn State he was managing editor of the university newspaper, where he met Patricia Evans, his wife-to-be, who also was on the staff.

He worked for about a year as a copy aide for The Washington Post and served in the Army from 1961 to 1963. Stationed in Korea, he worked on the Armed Forces Korean television network.

From 1963 to 1965 he was news editor for station WBZ-TV in Boston. He left that job to join Kennedy.

In addition to his wife, of Washington, survivors include four children, Michael Richard, Elizabeth Mary, Katherine Evans and Susanna Margaret Drayne; his mother, Mary Drayne, and one brother, Vincent Drayne, both of Pittsburgh, and one sister, Mary Drayne of New York City.


60, who headed a committee of the League of Women Voters that was instrumental in persuading Fairfax County to adopt voting machines in the 1960s, died of liver ailments June 18 at a nursing home in Bar Harbor, Maine.

Mrs. Eisen, who lived in the Washington area from 1957 to 1977, was born in Bangor, Maine. Her late father was U.S. Rep. John G. Utterback (D-Maine), and as a child she had lived in Washington for about two years. She was a graduate of Mount Ida Junior College in Newton Center, Mass.

As a member of the Fairfax County League of Women Voters, Mrs. Eisen headed a committee that recommended the use of voting machines in Fairfax and made a survey of machines used elsewhere in the country. The committee's recommendations were adopted by the county.

Mrs. Eisen lived in the Mount Vernon section of Alexandria until returning to Bangor in 1977. She moved to the nursing home in Bar Harbor in April.

Her marriage to Jack Eisen ended in divorce.

Survivors include two sons, Peter and Mark Eisen, both of Alexandria; one brother, J. Dudley Utterback of Brewer, Maine; two sisters, Jean Robbins of Orrington, Maine, and Elaine Stewart of Palos Verdes Estates, Calif., and one stepbrother, Gregg Stephenson of Greenlawn, N.Y.


90, a Washington area resident since 1968 and a member of Metropolitan AME Church, died of congestive heart failure June 18 at Greater Southeast Community Hospital. She lived in Suitland.

Mrs. Boykin was born in Garland, N.C. She was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star.

Her husband, the Rev. William J. Boykin, died in 1967. Survivors include three daughters, Ronnie Boykin of Washington, Ann Butler of Suitland, and Marie Ware of Norfolk; one stepdaughter, Mary Lisa Anderson of Roseboro, N.C.; four sons, Earl Boykin of Cheverly, E.J. Boykin of Upper Marlboro, Amos Boykin of San Francisco, and James Boykin of Poughkeepsie, N.Y.; 19 grandchildren, and nine great-grandchildren.


84, a founder of the Falls Church Village Preservation and Improvement Society, a civic organization concerned with zoning, planning and related issues in Falls Church, died of renal failure June 18 at Goodwin House, a retirement home in Alexandria.

Mrs. Graham was born in Statesville, N.C. She moved to the Washington area in 1940 and lived in Falls Church until moving to Goodwin House about 1979. In 1950, she went to work for the Falls Church Public Library, and was assistant librarian when she retired in 1965.

She founded the Falls Church Village Preservation and Improvement Society in 1965 and served on its board of directors until 1986. She also was a charter member of Historic Falls Church Inc., a private organization that seeks to preserve old houses in the city.

Mrs. Graham was a life member of the Virginia Library Association, the Nature Conservancy and The Falls Church.

Her husband, John Graham Jr., an architect, died in 1957.

Survivors include one daughter, Milla G. Vondenkamp of Boise, Idaho.


84, a retired Washington radio broadcaster and announcer, died of pneumonia June 18 at the Washington Home.

Miss Holmes was born in Montpelier, Vt., and moved to Washington in 1924.

She was a writer and voice participant on WTOP's "Nancy Dixon," a consumer-oriented radio program, and a writer and broadcaster for the Rural Electrification Administration.

During World War II she served in the Women's Army Corps. After the war she was a writer and broadcaster for the Voice of America's Worldwide English Service. She retired in the late 1960s.

Miss Holmes was one of the founding members of the Arena Stage. In retirement she had been a volunteer reader for the blind.

Her marriage to Michael Cohan ended in divorce.

There are no immediate survivors.


57, a retired employe of the Coca-Cola Bottling Co. in Capitol Heights, died of a stroke June 18 at Prince George's Hospital Center. He lived in Waldorf.

Mr. Emery was born in Frankfort, Ind. He served in the Air Force in the late 1940s, then worked in Indiana before moving to the Washington area in 1954 and joining Coca-Cola.

He was manager of the cooler department at the Capitol Heights plant when he retired for health reasons in 1981. He then lived in Rehoboth Beach, Del., for four years before returning to this area last year.

Survivors include his wife, Margaret Emery of Waldorf; two daughters, Juanita Widmer of Tillamook, Ore., and Debbie Gibson of Waldorf; one son, Michael Emery of Owings, Md.; his mother, Elsie Emery of Frankfort; three brothers, Carl and Jerry, both of Frankfort, and Archie, of Lebanon, Ind.; and two half-brothers, three half-sisters, 12 grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.