Viola Snider-Rutz Prassas, 79, a retired art designer and administrator with a local architectural concern who also was a former government lawyer here, died of a kidney ailment June 17 at a hospital in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. She lived in Fort Lauderdale.
Mrs. Prassas lived in this area for 50 years before moving to Florida in 1979. She attended Drake University in her native Iowa and received a law degree from Southeastern University in 1936.
She began her government career as a clerk and secretary with the General Accounting Office in 1929. After getting her law degree, she became a government attorney. She worked for the Federal Housing Administration, the old Coal Commission, the old Liquor Control Commission, the Labor Department, the old War Production Board, and the old Civil Production Administration before retiring in 1950.
She then joined the old architectural and engineering concern of Milton J. Prassas and Associates of Bethesda as a construction coordinator and administrator. She later became an art designer, specializing in design work for churches involving mosaics and glass work. She did design work on St. Matthews Lutheran Church in Washington and Pilgrim Lutheran Church, where she was a member, in Bethesda.
Mrs. Prassas had been a legal counsel and honorary member emeritus of the Potomac Valley chapter of the American Institute of Architects. She had been a member of the Annapolis Yacht Club and the Kenwood Golf and Country Club. A life master, she had participated in national duplicate bridge tournaments.
Her marriage to Lee J. Rutz ended in divorce.
Survivors include her husband of 44 years, Milton J. Prassas of Fort Lauderdale; a daughter by her first marriage, Marilyn L. Peterson of Newton, Mass.; two brothers, Ted Snider of Port St. Lucie, Fla., and E. Newton Snider of Arlington, and a half-sister, Sister Marie Rochelle, who lives in the Dominican sisters convent in Fremont, Calif.
JOSEPHINE S. LEFEBURE,
73, a former area secretary who was active in church groups, died June 20 at the Washington Hospital Center after a heart attack. She lived in Smithsburg, Md.
Mrs. Lefebure, who was a native of Waynesboro, Pa., lived in this area for 40 years before moving to Washington County, Md., in 1974.
Between 1934 and 1939, she had had been a secretary with the old National Catholic Welfare Conference and then the old Labor Department women's bureau. From the early to mid-1970s, she worked for the National Catholic Education Conference and then the Jesuit Conference.
Mrs. Lefebure was a charter member of the Cana Conference of Our Lady of Lourdes parish in Bethesda and had been a lector at St. Ann's Catholic Church in Hagerstown. From 1978 to 1983, she was a president of the Senior Citizens of Chewsville, Md. She was a charter member of the Group Health Association here.
Survivors include her husband, Henry P., of Smithsburg; five sons, John, of Cavetown, Md., Charles, of Lost Creek, W.Va., Paul, of North Kingstown, R.I., Regis, of Bethesda, and Richard, of Frederick, Md.; three daughters, Rachel Stewart of Arlington, Ellen Larsen of Bethesda, and Elizabeth O'Neill of Hagerstown; two sisters, Zita Hobbs of Fairfield, Pa., and Ruth Branchen of Hagerstown, and 18 grandchildren.
39, who had been national sales representative for the Louisville Convention Bureau since coming to this area about 1980, died of cancer June 18 at her home in Takoma Park.
She was a member of the Greater Washington Society of Association Executives, the National Association of Executives Clubs and the Washington Women Outdoors. Mrs. Weller was a native of Sandwich, Ill. She received a bachelor's degree in communications from Georgetown College in Kentucky.
Her marriage to Roger Weller ended in divorce.
Survivors include her mother, Audrey Hurley, and a brother, Jim Hurley, both of Daytona Beach, Fla., and a sister, Sun Hurley of Portland, Ore.