Dr. Herbert Abramson, 84, a retired Washington internist who also was an associate professor at the George Washington University medical school, died of cancer June 24 at his home in Naples, Fla.

Dr. Abramson was born in Washington. He earned bachelor's and medical degrees at GWU. He established a medical practice in Washington in 1938 and continued it until 1978, when he retired and moved to Florida. He taught at the GWU medical school for 25 years.

Dr. Abramson was a member of the D.C. Medical Society, the Jacobi Medical Society, Adas Israel Congregation and Woodmont Country Club.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth Abramson of Naples; two sisters, Bessie Levitan and Bertha Kleigman; and a brother, Norman Abramson, all of Washington.


67, a retired Air Force colonel who became the chief of federal judicial security for the U.S. Marshals Service, died of cancer June 23 at his home in Potomac.

Col. Burtner, who moved here in the early 1960s, was a native of Philadelphia. He was a graduate of Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pa., and was a past president of the school's board of advisers.

He enlisted in the Army in 1942 and served with the Army Air Forces in Europe during World War II. After working in Philadelphia for about six years, he was recalled to active duty in 1951 and served in Korea during the war there.

Subsequent assignments included recruiting posts in Pennsylvania, liaison work at the Pentagon with the Canadian military and air procurement work in Japan and at Andrews Air Force Base. He was stationed at Andrews when he retired from active duty in 1969.

His decorations included three Bronze Star medals and the Air Force Commendation Medal.

Col. Burtner was an official of the Marshals Service from 1969 to 1972.

He was a member of the Potomac River Power Squadron and the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Survivors include his wife, the former Margaret Burt, of Potomac; one son, David Mark Burtner of East Brunswick, N.J.; one daughter, Sally Anne Schofield of Bethesda, and five grandchildren.


81, a retired manager of Meenahan's Hardware store in Georgetown, died of cancer June 21 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Hayes was born in Knoxville, Tenn. In the late 1920s, his family moved to a farm in Gainesville, Va., and he lived there until World War II. During the war, he served in the Army in Europe. He landed on Omaha Beach in Normandy on D-Day as a member of a unit responsible for establishing port facilities.

After the war, Mr. Hayes moved to Washington. He went to work for Meenahan's in the late 1940s and stayed with the company until 1969, when he retired.

His marriage to the former Frances Meany ended in divorce.

Survivors include two daughters, Andrea Sharp of Arlington and Cynthia Hayes of Washington; a half-sister, Mary Lou Carroll of Phoenix, Ariz.; and three grandchildren.


104, a resident of the Washington area since 1926 and deaconess of the Ark of Love Baptist Church in Alexandria, died of cardiac arrest June 23 at Arlington Hospital.

Mrs. Page, who lived in Arlington, was born in Amherst, Va. She was a mother of her church and was known in her community for her work on behalf of the poor and disadvantaged.

Her husband, Alexander Page, died in 1959. Survivors include one son, William Page of Washington; three daughters, Ellen Echols of Philadelphia, Theresa Harriston of Washington, and Amelia Edwards of Arlington; one brother, Charlie Lee Robinson of Baltimore; 12 grandchildren, 42 great-grandchildren and 36 great-great-grandchildren.


87, a longtime area resident and a member of Christ Episcopal Church in Alexandria, died of pneumonia June 23 at Goodwin House, a retirement home in Alexandria.

Mrs. Wells was born in Jacksonville, Fla. She moved to the Washington area in 1938.

She was a member of the women's auxiliaries of Alexandria Hospital and the Salvation Army. She was a member of the Alexandria Association and the women's committee of the National Symphony. She and her husband, Eliot C. Wells, were founding members of the National Yacht Club.

Mr. Wells died in 1958.

Survivors include one daughter, Peggy Jean Moore of Alexandria; one son, Eliot C. Wells Jr. of Tequesta, Fla.; one sister, Mrs. W. Shands McKeithen of Jacksonville, and six grandchildren.


85, a Washington area resident since 1982 and a former secretary of the Women's Union of the Fourth Moravian Church in New York City, died of pneumonia June 21 at the Lorien Nursing Home in Columbia, Md.

Mrs. Beckles was born in Guyana. She moved to the United States in 1952 and settled in New York City.

Her husband, the Rev. Dr. Winston A. Beckles, was a former pastor of the Fourth Moravian Church. By church tradition, she was secretary of its Women's Union and held that position from 1952 until 1972.

Dr. Beckles died in 1965. Survivors include two daughters, Mavis Beckles of Coram, N.Y., and Marjorie Beckles of Silver Spring; five sons, Winston, Aubrey, Patrick and Sidney Beckles, all of East Amherst, N.Y., and Dr. Frank Beckles of Washington; 18 grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.


74, a retired registered nurse with Doctor's Hospital who later was director of nursing at the Methodist Home in Washington, died of cancer June 24 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Hillyard was born in DeKalb, Miss. She earned a degree in nursing from the Matty Hersee Hospital in Meridian, Miss.

She moved to the Washington area in 1939 and went to work for Emergency Hospital. She joined the staff at Doctor's Hospital about 1948 and retired in 1974. She later was director of nursing at the Methodist Home.

Mrs. Hillyard was a member of Wesley United Methodist Church in Washington.

Her husband, Charles B. Hillyard, died in 1979. Her first marriage, to John L. Raynor, ended in divorce.

Survivors include one son by her first marriage, John L. Raynor Jr. of East Sandwich, Mass.; two brothers, James Pace of Pearl, Miss., and A.J. Pace of Meridian; three sisters, Gladys George of DeKalb, Juanita Beasley of Jackson, Miss., and Alma Rae Pye of Chicago, and six grandchildren.


61, a retired Navy commander and veteran of two wars who had lived in the Washington area since June 1986, died of cardiac arrest June 23 at the Bethesda Naval Hospital. He lived in Fairfax.

Cmdr. Davis was a graduate of Mercer University in his native Georgia. He received his commission during World War II and served aboard a sub-chaser in the Atlantic. He worked for a paper company in Atlanta until recalled to active duty in 1950. A surface warfare officer, he served in Korean waters during the Korean Wars.

He also served aboard the battleship North Carolina and the carriers Lexington and Ticonderoga. He was stationed in Philadelphia when he retired from active duty in 1967. He then was a computer systems analyst with the city of Atlanta until retiring a second time in 1979.

His wife, the former Ann Floyd, died in 1983. Survivors include one son, Dr. Victor M. Davis III of Montana; three daughters, Laurie Forbes of Vienna, Dorothy Davis of Atlanta and Corinne Oliver of Cumming, Ga.; his father, Victor M. Davis Sr. of Dunwoody, Ga.; a brother, Malcolm S. Davis of Gainesville, Fla., and two grandchildren.


83, an official with the old War Production Board and a former Washington businessman and management consultant, died of cancer June 24 at a hospital in St. Petersburg, Fla.

Mr. Connolly, who had lived in St. Petersburg for 20 years, was born in New York City and graduated from Manhattan College.

He moved to the Washington area in 1940. During World War II, he worked for the War Production Board. He later was a consultant to the old War Assets Administration.

From 1948 to 1952, he was vice president of Vend Mart, a vending firm. For the next 10 years, he was a self-employed management consultant.

In 1967, Mr. Connolly moved to Florida and continued his work as a consultant. For the last two years, he had been a consultant on asbestos insulation for the Johns-Manville Corp.

He was active in Republican affairs in Washington and Florida.

Survivors include his wife, Catherine E. Connolly, and a daughter, Irene O'Rourke, both of Providence, R.I.; a son, Robert Connolly of Dayton, Md., and 15 grandchildren.